Saturday, April 12, 2014

Looking Back ...




Looking Back ...

You said to me, "Shoot for the stars, boy, there is no limit to what you can do."

When I crashed somewhere close to Jupiter, you said to me, "Land on the moon, boy, you've still so much to be proud of."

And here I am, looking back and remembering what you said.

Looking back? Looking back ...

Sort of a summing up, I guess. Sort of a post facto judgement on a life. Really, not something I am inclined to do.

But here I am. Looking back.

So much effort exerted to make things work, when I knew things were not going to work.

So many emotional commitments, reaching for that invisible connection, and so many broken promises.

So many hours, days, and months spent alone, testing the spirit that burned inside of me, and watching that spirit soar and crash, crash and soar — the repetition over repetition of experience.

So many people wandering in and out of my life, and so many who left their baggage by the door for me to find an appropriate means by which to dispose of it.

So many best friends, and so many lost friends.

So much time, so much time filled with wonder and excitement, and so much time wasted from simply wandering aimlessly in search of something tangible, something to hold on to and grasping at air.

Life bleeds from every wound we suffer.

The miracle is that we continue at all. But we do continue, because that is what heartache and failure teaches us to do. Continue. There really is no other option, at least not a suitable one.

And still I remember you saying, on a dark and foggy night, "I can't continue without you."

And my reply was glib, when I said, "You managed well enough before me, you'll manage now."

Life bleeds from every wound we inflict on others.

And we expect those we hurt to continue as well, to survive the dissolution of their faith in us. It's not cruel, because sometimes it's absolutely necessary, but all the same, it's heartless.

Looking back, I suppose I wish that I had been kinder, more forgiving of those who trespassed when I left the door open to trespassers, more honest with myself instead of second-guessing and mistaking the intentions of others, more ready to recognise that those I thought had come to help build a house and a home were those who came to burn the house down instead. I have never suffered fools easily. I am amazed that I was, too often, the fool.

Life is a series of invitations that arrive in the mail. You are invited to take part in a series of celebrations, in a calendar filled with joyous events, with birthdays, graduations, weddings, the birth of your children, the successes of your career, the beginning of your retirement. You are invited to love and complete yourself in the arms of another. You are invited to embrace every moment as if it were your last. There hardly seems room for sadness.

And yet ...

... there is sadness.



© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.


 






 

14 comments:

  1. ... a body that has seriously gone out of balance immediately dies, but not and the soul! Our souls carry on with all the pain... wounded, bleeding... looking back is harder than we think. But i often wonder from which moment of our life we choose to look back or look ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I suspect it's better to look ahead than it is to look back. What's done is done, and what isn't done yet needs to get done ... ;o}

      Delete
  2. "The miracle is that we continue at all. But we do continue, because that is what heartache and failure teaches us to do. Continue. There really is no other option, at least not a suitable one."

    Perhaps, for one reason or another, the salvation we seek from a relationship with one another is always destined to fail, long-term. Destined to fail, because our god from whom we seek this salvation is but an ersatz for the real thing, a substitute for the real God, from Whom only the salvation we seek can come. Even a "successful" long-term relationship changes from a whirlwind of sex, excitement and romance to one of resigned acceptance after 50 years. Sure, you can say there is a deeper familial love; but still, something has died. Just saying.

    Good choice of music, KJ.

    ~Manfred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This video is not available in your country."

      Tsk, tsk. I just wonder when we, in outer Mongolia, are going to catch up with the rest of the world.

      ~Manfred

      Delete
    2. Sorry about the video ... but you tend to see things the way that I do ... still, when things fall apart, perhaps that affords us the opportunity to put them back together in a better way ...

      Delete
    3. The video should work now ... I changed to source code to the Vevo version ...

      Delete
    4. "The video should work now ... I changed to source code to the Vevo version ..."

      Works well. Listening to one song by Enigma always results in me binge-listening to them for a minimum of a couple of hours.

      ~Manfred

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure what to feel, after reading this blog. It was like a cyber roller coaster--both somber and joyous, depressing and uplifting. At the end of it all, I guess we are impressed to, simply, keep moving on ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another enjoyable read, I especially like the line "Life bleeds form every wound we suffer"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danette ... I'm glad you liked it ...

      Hope all is well in your neighbourhood.

      Delete
  5. there isn't only sadness.. that's the point isn't it? there's lots more than that. they say that if a friendship lasts seven years, it will last a lifetime. i don't know about that, but I'm sure that the more years that one spends adding layer upon layer of memories into the relationship chest, the harder it is to separate it from the essential bios of one's life. perhaps the secret is to keep adding sweet memories, and refusing to retain sour ones. ... of course a few salty ones are nice in the mix too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger