Sunday, August 12, 2012

Getting The Shakes From My Olympic Addiction


Getting The Shakes From My Olympic Addiction

Have you been watching the Olympics over the last two weeks? I have.

Here, in Canada, we have had amazing television coverage — three channels covering different events from about 4:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET — with many of the events presented live when televised early in the day.

I confess that I have watched more television over the last two weeks than I would usually watch in an entire year. I almost feel like I have a flat somewhere in London, and that I know Prince William and his brother, Harry, more closely than I would ever really hope or desire. After the closing ceremonies today, I am sure to go into some kind of withdrawal. Returning to watching America's Got Talent will most certainly provide very little solace.

There are some Olympic events that I generally like more than others.

I like the gymnastic events, because the training, strength, and dedication of the athletes is beyond what most people could ever muster. The United States Fab Five girls' gymnastics team was outstanding, and very deserving of the gold medal.

The swimming is always a must-see for me. I love to swim myself, and it was great to see Michael Phelps return and win another handful of medals to become the most decorated Olympian of all time.

I also like the diving competitions. However, the divers do have a somewhat peculiar fascination with the little towels they carry around. They dive and then they immediately grab these little babushkas and wipe themselves down. It's as if they don't like being wet. It's diving ... into water. You get wet.

Synchronized diving is a bit odd, but so is synchronized swimming. I don't get the whole synchronized thing. I mean, imagine if there were synchronized hurdles, synchronized pole vaulting, or synchronized weight lifting. All gets a bit weird.

My favourite events are in track and field. I especially like the short races, the 100 metres and the like. In these Olympics, the star of the track and field show was Usain Bolt from Jamaica. The man can run. I suspect that I could have been as fast as he was when I was younger. I definitely did my share of running in my time. Still, I suppose that, if I were to be an Olympian, I would need a better name. Let's be honest, James sounds a bit slow compared to Bolt. James sounds like the name of a slow-motion butler or a sleepy chauffeur. I think I would go with a name like Freddy Fuse. That name has some definite speed in it. Light me up and watch me burn down the track ...

I guess there is some glory in how many medals each country wins. The USA, winning over 100 medals, did very well. Canada won only 18. It was 19, but yesterday they took a bronze medal away from our 4X100m relay team. It appears as if the Canadians had trouble staying between the lines on the track during the race. I can sympathise. Hey, we think out of the box here in the Great White North, eh?

I'm sad to report that only one of Canada's medals was a gold medal — won by Rosannagh MacLennan in women's trampolines. Trampolines? I never even realised that was a sport. I wonder if logrolling will ever qualify as an Olympic sport? We would probably do quite well in that, but then the Brits would probably want to add darts, the French would demand some kind of kissing event, and the Americans would insist on skateboarding or beer-bonging. I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.

All in all, it was a wonderful two weeks, and London did a jolly good job of being host to the world.

Watching all that television for two weeks seems deserving of some kind of medal as well. Maybe a chocolate medal, like those gold-foil wrapped coins you can buy at the Dollar Store.

Next stop, Brazil in 2016 ... pensar nas possibilidades!

 



 

9 comments:

  1. and here I thought you were busy writing a book, you little stinker! :P
    I love swimming, do the lap thing often...back it High School I loved short distance running, I did the 50 yard dash in 7 seconds flat (not great but not bad)
    I loved watching the women's volleyball, believe it or not I have a pretty mean serve, just don't put me on the front row...maybe I could come up with volleyball for shorties, you know people say 5'2" and under, lower the net even hahahaha thanks for letting me dream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing a book? Hmmm ... no money in books anymore ... ;o}

      Delete
  2. The video commercials are great ... quite heartwarming. Being a non-cable person, I had to wait each evening to watch the events, unless they were on live earlier in the day. NBC goofed a few times (as did our local TV stations) when they reported the winners before we could watch the events. All in all, it was a huge victory for the Americans. USA!

    I'm always in awe of the athletes and their dedication to their sport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not watched any of the Olympics......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have loved it!!! It's been amazing to watch and I do not watch much t.v.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The closing ceremonies were incredible. When the John Lennon tribute came on, I almost completely lost it ...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger