Friday, September 16, 2016

One More Cup Of Coffee ... Part 5



One More Cup Of Coffee ... Part 5

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, places, or actual events is purely coincidental.

The next morning, I phoned Wallace Ackley, my lawyer and financial consultant in New York. I explained to him that I was travelling to Arizona on an extended holiday, that I was alive and well, and did not wish to be bothered by anyone. He agreed to contact my family and instruct them call off the search for me. As a proviso, he asked only that I check in with him once a month to ensure that I was well and safe from harm. One crisis was averted, and still another crisis loomed.

I hurried down to the south garage, and pulled the tarp from my Volvo. I tried the door, and my luck seemed to be turning. The door was unlocked.

I stepped inside the car, and I reached beneath the dashboard for the ignition wires. I had not hot-wired a car since the somewhat unruly years of my teens, but I remembered enough to bypass the ignition system, and the car roared to life. I opened the garage doors and drove aimlessly in search of Lonnegan's Diner. The back roads outside Thomasville were a maze of gravel trails, all seemingly leading nowhere. I eventually stopped a farmhand driving a tractor along the edge of a cornfield and asked for directions.

By the time I reached the highway turnpike that led to the diner, the sun was already beginning to set. I parked between two transport trucks in the parking lot, carefully out of sight from the diner's main entrance, but with a view of any traffic that might enter or leave the lot.

At some point, I fell asleep in my car, only to be awakened by the hiss of the air brakes of the transport truck pulling out from its parking spot next to me. I bolted upright in the driver's seat, somewhat disoriented and angry. Night had fallen, and I was sure that I had missed the very thing that I had come to discover.

To my surprise, Maggie's dark blue Buick remained parked across from me. My good fortune seemed to be continuing. I watched and I waited.

After an hour or so, I saw Maggie walking from the diner toward her car. I ducked down in my seat and peered over the dash. What I saw next sent chills down my spine.

Out from a red pickup, a shadowy figure met Maggie as she walked to her car. I peered through the darkness as best as I could, but I was unable to make out the features of the man meeting my wife. Then, as the two converged under one of the parking lot's tall lampposts, I watched as Maggie counted out a number of indistinct bills of cash. In return, he handed her a brown paper bag. She opened it and pulled a dark object from the bag. That object caught the light just so, and I could tell it was a revolver.

I closed my eyes for a moment, afraid to believe what I was seeing. Then I heard laughter, a laugh I remembered all too well, and as the man turned into the light, I saw that it was Billy Bottenfield.

"Dead, my ass," I murmured to myself.

Once Maggie completed her business with Billy Bottenfield, I expected her to get in her car and begin the drive home. Instead, she simply opened her car door, placed her package inside, and then walked back into the diner.

I reached under the dash, got the Volvo running, and drove back to Pendleton as quickly as possible. I pulled into the south garage, stalled the engine, and threw the grey tarp back over my car.

As I entered the mansion, my mind was racing with a multitude of thoughts and conjectures, but one simple conclusion resurfaced again and again. Maggie had bought a gun for just one reason. She was going to murder me.

... To be continued ...

 









 








 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger