Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Downside Up — Five Days Deluxe Accommodation At The Hôtel Depression



Downside Up — Five Days Deluxe Accommodation At The Hôtel Depression

I'm considering going into a depression.

I need some sleep, and apparently when you are depressed you sleep quite a bit.

I'm thinking maybe I could just turn on the television, lie on my couch with an oh-so-cuddly comforter, and crash in front of the old-time movies channel. Why the old-times movie channel? Well, that way I wouldn't feel like I was missing something, because I've seen almost all the movies they run, except the Chuck Norris movies, which I refuse to watch, simply as a matter of good taste.

Do you eat more when you are depressed? You see, I don't eat much these days. I like little snacks, but I never eat the BIG meal, and I refuse to follow the brainwashing we had as kids to eat certain foods at breakfast, other foods at lunch, and some whopping big hunk of whatever at dinner. On any given day, I might eat a bit of steak or fish for "breakfast" and a bowl of cereal for "dinner."

I suspect flopping into a good depression will mean that I will have to change all that. A dozen doughnuts usually goes a long ways, but hey, I am not adverse to downing one crueller after another, until the sugary pastry sends my mind reeling into a kind of dizzy unconsciousness.

I don't suppose you can be depressed without a good case of the blues and a tendency to roll around in the mud of self-pity. I have no blues these days. Life is good, but I suppose that I could certainly find something in my life to whip into some form of self-pity. I'm sure that I can find something to blame my parents for.

I wonder, though, if I really get into this depression gig, whether I will end up flipping from the old-time movies channel and start cruising my cable package to watch the likes of such shows as The View, The Talk, Dr Phil, Oprah reruns, or some such show that seems hell-bent on reinforcing the dark side of daylight for every depressed homebody? Will I end up thinking that infomercials or The Shopping Channel are the essence of prime time viewing?

Will I start looking for some kind of self-help on the Internet or begin reading those ridiculous books that pretend to have the answer to all of life's little problems?

Will I only sing Leonard Cohen songs in the shower?

Will I even bother to shower?

Perhaps, I should give all this depression stuff more thought. I would hate the idea of my son or daughter coming by, shoving Prozac in my mouth, holding my lips closed, and rubbing my neck until I swallow. After all, once people think you're depressed, then apparently you're locked into that stereotype for the rest of your life. People don't seem to be able to think of depression as a disease that can be cured. It's sort of like the way we treat alcoholics. Once you are one, you will always be one.

What nonsense we live.

We need to turn our thinking upside down.

© Copyright, Kennedy James. All rights reserved.
 





 

10 comments:

  1. this world has been gifted much art from the depressed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. In fact, the two sometimes seem to be interdependent ...

      Delete
  2. What nonsense we live.- oh yeah

    Will I only sing Leonard Cohen songs in the shower? - could be worse..lots worse...could get to be eighties tunes

    you're locked into that stereotype - true and sad..depressing

    I refuse to follow the brainwashing we had as kids to eat certain foods at breakfast, other foods at lunch, and some whopping big hunk of whatever at dinner. - KUDOS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "could get to be eighties tunes"

      Haha ... yes, how true ... ;o}

      Delete
  3. If you start watching The View, you might as well off yourself and get it over with ... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jeanie ... The View is enough to make anyone feel depressed.

    So, here's the deal. Everyone gets depressed now and then ... get over it! That's all I have to offer ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~chuckle~ ... I agree .... turn that thinking upside down and tuck into those doughnuts!!
    Up days, down days .... even the sea has those!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger