Friday, June 07, 2013

Love And Like







Love And Like


I've been wondering lately whether the words, "I love you," also embody the assertion, "I like you" ?

I mean I wonder if you can love someone without really liking him or her?

It sounds odd, I know, but I have seen couples who are married and swear they are in love, but who also seem to have an obvious dislike for the habits and interests of one another.

He likes watching sports on television, and she is in another room reading something like 50 Shades of Grey, while wondering what it would be like to be spanked by Johnny Depp.

She likes to spend Saturday in the mall, shopping for this or that, and he sits outside the stores on the park bench looking like the world is about to end.

He enrols little Johnny in hockey school, and she thinks that little Johnny's time would be better spent taking piano lessons.

Nothing seems to jive between the two, and yet, when the kids have gone to bed, there comes a moment when he looks across the kitchen table at her and suddenly each feels a love for the other.

Maybe it's true that opposites attract. Maybe the fuse to passion is in the differences more than in the similarities. Maybe love is not about "liking" someone at all.

I like my friends, but I wouldn't say I "love" them in the way I love a special woman.

If I turn that around, I wonder if I "like" that special woman in the way I like my friends?

Maybe not. Maybe my feelings for her have somehow left the "liking" scenario behind.

All a bit confusing, but God help me if, after a romantic interlude at 3:00 am, she says to me, "I love you," and I respond with "And I like you too ..."

© Copyright, Kennedy James. All rights reserved.


 




 

11 comments:

  1. It's easy to like someone. When liking someone special evolves into love, it's pure magic.

    For me, it might be difficult to love someone I didn't like very much. While I might not like a certain behavior, to dislike them as a person would probably mean it would be best if that person was not in my life. Does that make sense?

    To hear someone say "I love you but I don't like you" is unbelievably hurtful. However, if it's the behavior they (or I) don't like, then let's talk about it. Let's become better communicators. Let's see if we can fix the problem.

    Mutual respect plays a huge part in all of this ... I'm rambling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "When liking someone special evolves into love, it's pure magic."

      I wonder if it's possible to fall in love with someone without even knowing if you like him or her. Maybe, you can just take the plunge and figure out the bubbles later ...

      Delete
    2. "I wonder if it's possible to fall in love with someone without even knowing if you like him or her. Maybe, you can just take the plunge and figure out the bubbles later ..."

      Sure, that happens all the time on the Internet ... L-U-V!

      Delete
    3. Ah, yes, I've heard that happens ...

      Delete
  2. ...there are so many levels of love, most of the time in life I skip over the like, it's so vanilla...I keep what I love in my life and ignore the rest, earthly life is not forever, go all the way, love it or lose it...those couples may not like what their partners do (their actions), but they love their soul their spirit...if that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that makes perfect sense ... sort of like Oreos ... I like the chocolate biscuit, but I love the creamy filling ... ;o}

      Delete
  3. I think like and love go hand in hand ... you cannot love something without liking it. Love will accommodate the little differences because love is unconditional. Two becoming one has to have understanding and communication. Just because two people are together doesnt mean they have to share every living second together .... different interests are vital in my opinion in order for one to be who one is. A commitment of love should embrace individuality ... differences of opinion ... for without them .. life will become pretty mundane I reckon. Trust and communication make for understanding ... and whats not to like about that ~grin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ... we've talked about this before, and I think everyone needs a little separate space in their lives. However, that space does not diminish the love between two people ...

      Delete
    2. However, that space does not diminish the love between two people ...

      Absolutely .... I think that space actually fuels the love ... as it keeps things fresh in some weird way!!

      Delete
  4. I think it's easier to like someone at first, and then to fall in love with him...
    From other hand maybe these differences let some couples to stay together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, the "like" factor moves a couple into the "Friends Zone." Then, I think it is harder to fall in love ...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger