Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sweet-Lover-Man


Sweet-Lover-Man

My long time love affair is over. Ended. Done. Kaput. Exit stage left. See ya, wouldn't want to be ya.

For as long as I can remember, I have been coddled and comforted by ice cream, and for all the joy it brought me, I have reciprocated by offering it my undying love in return.

No more. No more secret rendezvous in the middle of the night along Rocky Road. No more swooning for the taste of Heavenly Hash caressing my lips. No more morning dances with Butterscotch Swirl. No more jungle fantasies in bed with Chunky Monkey. All those wild and wonderful indiscretions have been banana-split from me forever, and have become just empty waffle cones, remnant memories of all the sweet delights of a life entwined within the allure of that oh so seductive, frozen dessert.

A lost love brings great remorse, I suppose. I know there will be moments when I will remember the chocolate dip of a Dairy Queen cone with great fondness, my resolve to move on mixed with my confused desire to lick indiscreetly again. I did not want this love of my life to end with so much drama, but I suspect there is no easy way out of love. All you can do is to make a stand, draw a line in the sand, and remain resolute. Sometimes, the thing you love most is what is most harmful to you.

And ice cream, for all its cool delight, has had its way with me for long enough. No more. No more syrupy nights walking along the beach or spooning in front of an open fire in the château. No, enough. No more.

Time. As time goes by, I will find acceptance. The memories will drop away, like cellulite goop disappearing from my butt. As time goes by, I may be less of a man, but so much more of a man. I will learn to breathe again without the sensation of choking under some caloric conundrum racing through my veins and clogging my arteries.

Life will go on, possibly much longer, without this lost love. Still, the hurt is fresh, and I can't honestly say that I won't be sad, possibly for some time to come. I will find a new love. I always have. Something kinder and gentler for my heart to embrace. In fact, I have already noticed the soft, pouting buds of broccoli calling to me from the other end of the grocery store.

I am hopeful. I believe in fresh and new beginnings.

Wait. Wait! What's this? Giant bags of M&M's here in a bin? And on sale? All those vibrant and colourful candy coatings wrapped tightly around a soft chocolate centre are calling to me. "Eat me," they groan, "c'mon, big boy, eat me."

What's a sweet-lover-man to do? Yes, yes, come home with me my little darlings. We will stain the bedsheets with a rainbow of delight, and though the morning finds me full of shame and guilt, I will have my fill of you, if only for tonight ...




© Copyright, Kennedy James. All rights reserved.
 



 

6 comments:

  1. This read, although sad, is truly good enough to eat. My favorite of all your pieces. It captures the emotion in all its entirety ... an absolutely brilliant write!
    Forget the M&M's ... and try something totally outrageous ..... those tender buds of broccoli have more substance ... they will feed not only the body but also the soul!
    ~huggs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soul food, you say? Hmmm ... now I have a hankering for something that will put a little spice in my life ... ;o}

      Delete
    2. Spice in your life? Stay away from Taco Bell ...

      Delete
  2. Tsk! Can we not leave you alone for one minute? Seduced by a bag of m&ms after making such progress??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I know, I know ... I've a mental age of five ...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger