Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Addicted


Raisin Cain


Addicted

I'm confused today. You see, I think that I must have an addictive personality.

No, it's not drugs to which I am addicted, not gambling, not the evil alcohol, not sex (I wish), not Jesus, no, none of the usual suspects.

The truth of the matter is that I am addicted to butter tarts.

Over the course of my life, I can't even imagine how many butter tarts have slipped through my lips, and now I fear they have become my obsession

I find myself spending my days drifting through the hours in a sea of sweet sultana surrender. Instead of making sense, I spend my time in a world of sticky nonsense, where I make up silly little poems like:

It was the butter tart
That broke my heart
And left me all alone.

I have to stop. I have to save myself from a life of bad poetry.

My urges sometimes get the best of me. Some days, I know that there are butter tarts aplenty out there for me to scoop up in my shopping cart and bring home. I could tumble into bed and gorge myself on that raisin and sticky sweet concoction so neatly whipped in its little pastry boat. And, sure, I would end up crashing from the sugar eventually and fall asleep amidst a wasteland of miniature tin pie plates and reruns of CSI. But I can't. I can't. You see, I'd just wake up to a crusty throat and a gooey raisin stuck in one of my back molars, and the first thing I would do is write yet another silly poem:

Love me with your shirt unbuttoned there
I want to run my lips across your body bare
I want to feel your hips rise up in a shudder
When you become my tart and I become your butter.

See????

Butter tarts are destroying my poetry, my imagination, my creative soul. Butter tarts are infecting my heart.

Such thoughts, such weird and crazy thoughts. All I want is my old life back, but instead, I find my personality splitting like the dead ends of a bad 80's hairstyle. It' so bad that I even remember sending different parts of me out to complete different tasks. One goes to the gym, one goes to the Library, and then the really bad one heads off to the grocery store. What for? Butter tarts, of course. Boxes and boxes of butter tarts. Uh-oh, here we go again ....

If you need me baby, just go to where the road starts,
You don't need no GPS, no fancy maps, no elaborate charts,
Just follow the trail of crumbs that have dripped from my butter tarts.

Arrghhh ... I'm drowning in glucose.

So if I'm not around for a day or maybe two,
Don't fret, there's nothing wrong and nothing you can do,
For as sure as the sky is green and apples are blue,
My life is stuck in a rut of butter tart goo.
 





 

16 comments:

  1. Not to worry! All grocery stores in your area have been put on high alert to stop selling you butter tarts ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha :-) This is what I love about you. You can take anything in the world and write about it, make it interesting and funny. If I don't see you on here for days, I will know why, you are in sugar shock !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm ... now you have me wondering if a sugar shock is like a sugar shack ...

      Delete
    2. :-) I wonder if that guy in the song ever got with girl at the sugar shack and I wonder if he did, how much sugar he got from her . Gosh I haven't heard that song in years

      Delete
    3. As a general rule, the sweetest women provide the most sugar ...

      Delete
    4. You should try my caramel cake :-P LOL Ok, I'll behave. I'm still going to wonder about that song and whether he got with the girl at the sugar shack.

      Delete
  3. The antidote to tarts, my friend, my friend,
    is to picture yourself fat--
    Then, the obsession will end, will mend, will mend,
    unless another pops up, to bat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ...

      While being fat might be everyone's fear,
      I've ample proof of that in front of my mirror ...

      Delete
  4. Lmao

    I've never had butter tarts. I've had poem brain freeze. I've meandered back to writers world wondering if all I can muster is goo. Sighs. Well the puppy has me so preoccupied!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that pup must be getting big by now ... pups will certainly give you a focus in your life ... so demanding ... like men sort of ...

      Delete
  5. sweet!
    I couldn't resist...

    we all have our weaknesses, bad poetry is one of mine and I think I do that quite well :P

    my addictions would be coffee and chocolate now and forever ...amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love coffee as well ... all kinds of coffee ... but not chocolate so much. Chocolate makes me sneeze ... must be allergic ...

      Delete
  6. Ha you are hilarious Mr Kennedy...you know what they say ..you are what you eat.. watch out or you'll turn into a big ole butter tart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "you know what they say ..you are what you eat.."

      Haha ... well, that explains a few things ... ;oD

      Delete
  7. LOL. I love your writing. I wonder if addiction could be a good thing at times. The energy, drive, motivation of people that obsessively work on something that can be great. People like inventors, scientists, artists. All fields perhaps. The butter tarts may be an intermission,a substitution, a distraction in the pursuit of something great. Or maybe an unending quest for the perfect butter tart.
    It's not all bad so, enjoy! Soon maybe all that energy may have a different focus. As always, Great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger