Friday, February 15, 2013

Five Days Of Poetry — Day 5


Lost In Words


A House Of Words

i am lost in a house of words
the walls cracked with
accidental adjectives
the floor sticky
with leftover transitive verbs
and careless allusions
and i am careful not to trip
on a casual simile
stumble on a pile of
mixed metaphors
or hit my head
on a dangling participle
and fall into a comma

i am lost in a house of words
words of hope and words of despair
words of love and words of my darkest fears
words that form into phrases
and words that fall apart
crumbling into one another
almost by coincidence
words that build bridges
across chasms of uncertainty
and words i don't trust
for fear they will murder
some unsuspecting reader
leave the victim by the back door
decorate the corpse with flowery personifications
and by morning
recreate the living
in the dead

i am lost in a house of words
the burnt sienna or cadmium green
the yellow ochre or raw umber
of bright landscapes
or dark portraits
all the colours of my imagination's palette
mixed into images that spring to life
like summer wild flowers
swaying in the hot procreant breeze
of cross pollination
words washing together in strange sentiments
and cautious conjectures
across the empty page
to remind me of who i am
and who i am not

i am lost in a house of words
words intermingling with one another
and catching both light and shadow
in a perplexing reflection
shining outwards
from a transcendent mirror
words revealing
the bland and blank spaces
of my life
or of your life
words infusing the empty hollows
of every life drifting between birth and death
of every struggling soul
no matter how irreconcilably deluded
with the transforming truth
that opens the door
to discovering the fullest beauty of life
in so many simple words
words that create the art of
poetry
 





 

18 comments:

  1. Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

    You and Leonard have left me speechless ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... but you see, I am the one who knows that you will find your voice again ...

      Delete
  2. All I know is I get lost in your words . I'm sad that the five days is over :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But these five poems will linger here for some time to come ... like a house or a street of houses, in which you can lose yourself whenever you feel the urgency not to be where you are ...

      Delete
    2. Ok, yes, you are right. I've enjoyed the five days.

      Delete
  3. Your house of words has actually stunned and silenced my brain. I just sit here in awe!! ... simply brilliant!! What a spectacular finale ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good use of colorful and impactful words, in describing words, KJ.

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  5. "the burnt sienna or cadmium green
    the yellow ochre or raw umber"


    I remember these from my oil painting days.

    ~Manfred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that you painted, Manfred... Are those your paintings in your multimedia presentations?

      Delete
    2. No, KJ, I've never posted pictures of my paintings anywhere. Right now, they are in storage. Perhaps, one day, I'll photograph them all and post them somewhere.

      ~Manfred

      Delete
    3. "Perhaps, one day, I'll photograph them all and post them somewhere."

      I'd like that ... hope you'll show the world your talent.

      Delete
  6. Lost in a house of words?

    Hmm..you don't seem lost when it comes to words.. i
    I rather think of you as a master of words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sometimes, there's too many words and not enough blank space ... ;o}

      Delete
  7. Interesting metaphor--a house of words. I enjoyed this poem, though I'm not much for poetry. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Jeanie. It was fun to write.

      Delete
  8. I wanted to come here and thank you for the writing advice. I appreciate your imput.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patrick White once wrote that writing was 'sheer drudgery', but you seem to enjoy it when it beckons, often.

    Lucky you, having a happy marriage after all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger