Friday, October 21, 2016

The Joker



The Joker

In the Batman movies and comic books, the Joker is a vile character. He's a villain bent on destroying the peace and quiet of the world, and he becomes the arch-rival of Batman.

In real life, we have jokers too. I'm sure each of you knows one. He or she is that person who always has a joke up one sleeve or the other. Some are funny; some are not. I suppose it all depends on your sense of humor and maybe the mood you're in when you hear the joke.

Three guys finish up a hard day of work and walk into a bar. They do the same the next day. And the day after that. On the fourth day, they duck.

Is that a funny joke? I'll be honest. It took me a minute to "get" it, and when I did, I just groaned at the silly word play. Here's another:

A dog walks into a bar and hops up on a stool. He looks the bartender in the eye and says, "Hey, guess what? I can talk. Have you ever seen a talking dog before? How about a drink?"

The bartender thinks for a moment and says, "Sure, the toilet's right around the corner."

Funny? Well, if you're a dog-lover, you'll get the punchline immediately. I find it funny because it exploits the stereotype of a dog's behaviour.

There are other jokes, however, that exploit stereotypes that some people find offensive. The "blonde" joke is an example:

Q: Why can't a blonde dial 911?
A: She can't find the eleven.

Most of the "blonde" jokes play on the stereotype that all blondes are dumb. I can't imagine that anyone actually believes that aphorism, but simply implying it in a joke sends waves of disgust across some people's sea of consciousness. I am not a fan of the "blonde" joke, simply because I have had the good fortune to meet some very intelligent blondes. Of course, I'm never sure if a blonde is a natural blonde or a Lady Clairol blonde. To me, it doesn't matter, as long as they're more fun. Ooops, sorry another stereotype.

Men are not exempt from becoming the butt of jokes. There's a whole encyclopedia of "red neck" jokes:

Two rednecks walk down a dirt path. One man has a big sack over his shoulder, after a while the other man asks what's in the sack.

The first man says, "I got me some chickens for dinner tonight."

The other man asks how many chickens are in the sack.

"Well, I'll tell you," replies the first redneck, "If you can guess how many chickens I got in this here sack, I'll give them both to you."

I do find stupidity funny. What I dislike is how stupidity is often attributed to a particular group of people, blondes or red necks. From my experiences, we all do stupid things from time to time. Those things don't always end up funny. Take getting married, for example. Sometimes, a marriage doesn't end in a very funny manner.

"Fat" jokes have been around forever. I'm not sure who makes up these jokes, but I honestly suspect it's overweight people themselves — something to do with their self-loathing perhaps.

My sister — kind of on the huge side — she weighs about 300 pounds, and she's only about 4'11".

It's not a pretty picture.

We buy her clothes in those specialty stores for the bigger gal, like Lane Bryant. Clothes come in three sizes: Jumbo, Husky, and Oh My God It's Moving Towards Us.

I have never really found "fat" jokes to be funny. Being overweight is a serious condition that threatens people's live. I never find morbidity funny.

Then again, some jokes about dying aren't half-bad.

A husband and wife have four sons. The oldest three are tall with red hair and light skin while the youngest son is short with black hair and dark eyes.

The father was on his deathbed when he turned to his wife and said, "Honey, before I die, be totally honest with me: Is our youngest son my child?"

The wife replied, "I swear on everything that's holy that he is your son."

With that, the husband passed away. The wife muttered, "Thank God he didn't ask about the other three."

Now, I must admit that I do find that joke to be funny. It sort of drips with irony, and I'm a big fan of life's ironic situations.

Finally, there is the famous "dirty" joke. Some of these are R-rated, but some can be fairly humorous.

A teacher was telling her students about human anatomy in a sex education class. She took her pointer and pointed to the picture of a male and a female.

"The female has two breasts and one vagina. The male has one penis."

A little boy in the front row jumped up and said that the teacher was wrong.

"My daddy has two penises. He has a short one that he pees with and a long one that he brushes Mommy's teeth with!"


I find that pretty funny. I won't say anything more, because I'm inclined to think that the kinds of jokes we like probably say something about our character.

So, unwittingly, I became the guy with the jokes for you early this morning. Some of you may have had a laugh or two, and some of you feel like you just wasted ten minutes of your life.

I can't imagine taking life so seriously that you don't have time for a joke and maybe a laugh or two. Being serious doesn't make you a serious person. It doesn't make you a deep-thinker or somehow superior to those of us who enjoy a little ribald humour from time to time. What it does suggest about you is that you may have no sense of humour, or seen another way, no sense at all.

 









 








 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger