Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Outside In


Inside Out

Outside In

Yesterday, someone suggested that I start "thinking outside the box."

I never knew I was in a box, but now that I think about it, I guess I am.

It's a nice box though. Two washrooms. I like that. Two can pee for the price of one.

OK, so I'm stepping outside the box.

Wow ... who knew it would be so surreal?

Pink flamingos doing the wa-watusi over there, and a Tibetan pig riding a motorcycle over here.

There's a bit of a circus feel to this place, outside the box. I know I'm supposed to be thinking, but I really don't know what to think.

Maybe I'm supposed to think less literally about things.

Outside the box, I guess almost anything goes.

Want a pizza supreme? Hey, there it is.

Want to ride a windmill? Well, take a whirl.

It seems like anything is possible outside the box.

You know, I sort of miss my box. It was a safe place to be. Inside the box, everything is, well, predictable. I know who I am, and for the most part, I know who you are. There are rules inside the box. We survive because we have certain expectations that we agree to.

Out here, everything is just a bit chaotic.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a firm believer in chaos theory. For most of my life, nothing else could explain my weird and wonderful experiences. Still, sometimes, it gets to be a bit much.

Outside the box is like a vacation in Bilouxi. You meet the weird, homeless guy hustling nickels from you and the mad old woman who is shouting, "It's the end of the world," but after that little bit of entertainment, you have to figure out how you're going to manage some of life's more urgent needs — like the need for food or shelter and all the way up the Maslow pyramid to some of those higher order needs, like the need for sex, I mean, the need for love.

I don't think there is much sex outside the box. Well, there is, I suppose, but it's the low-octane kind and, sadly, the kind that doesn't give you much of a ride. Stuff like cyber-sex and hand-jivin', if you get my drift.

Whoa, there. Hey, I'm not used to you grabbing my tush like that. What are you thinking? I know, I know, we're outside the box and all, but still ...

... oh, I get it. You're trying to get me back inside the box, aren't you?
 





 

10 comments:

  1. Gosh, I used to love this song once upon a time ...

    I love the comforts of being inside my box but I guess its because my mind is often free falling out of it ~grin~ ... balances I guess .... a little bit of both ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't see you as in a box at all, but the danger is that boxes become comfortable ...

      Delete
  2. It seems to get harder and harder to think outside the box, as you get older and older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like everything else, you tend to forget where you left the box you want to get out of ...

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of the good old days before retirement. We would have staff meetings, and the administrator in charge would tell the team that we should find ways to work smarter and think outside the box. I always found it rather odd that the person telling us what to do was incapable of coming up with any suggestions. This administrator took one of mine, used it, and claimed it as her own. Fortunately for me, someone spoke up and reminded the administrator that her idea was really my idea. Retirement started to look really good after that. Anyway ...

    Sex does not equal love, and cyber love is just that ... do it yourself. I can feel comfortable inside the box in my real world, but the computer box will never be a substitute for the flesh of the one I love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Pink flamingos doing the wa-watusi over there, and a Tibetan pig riding a motorcycle over here."

    "Far-out, Man! Where did you get this stuff, Dude? How about another toke."


    All seriousness aside, we absolutely disagree on the cyber-sex and cyber-love, KJ and Darbie. It all depends on the creativity of the principals involved and their innate capability of being truly intimate with another human being.

    When I have debated the point with people in the past, they somehow get it in their minds that I've never had a real-life relationship and that I have nothing with which to compare my online relationship. They would be very much mistaken. I have had both and I absolutely know for a fact that what I do with my partner online--where communication is absolutely essential--far exceeds, in quality, what most people in real life call a relationship, based on what the people that I know tell me of their relationships and my own personal observations of their relationships.

    In an online relationship, you can have all the high points of a relationship sans the mundane drudgery and problems of everyday life--things which do not enhance or help grow any relationship, contrary to popular opinion.

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no qualms or criticisms of a cyber-relationship. Every relationship has its unique form of passion and beauty. No sense trying to compare apples to oranges.

      I'm not sure one form of relationship is "better" than any other. All relationships are as good as you want to make them, and by the same token, as hurtful and bad as you want to make them ...

      Choices ... it's all about choices ...

      Delete
  5. That was a large leap..from the box to sex..err..then again maybe not..
    The chaos theory rules baby!.. Inside or outside of the box..
    Cyber relationships..they're a great invention of the new millennium..you get to choose from a world of people instead of just your own backyard or town pub. Cyber sex..different topic. I've never tried it..have you? I imagine it might get old fairly soon..since it misses the very best parts of sex in the real..
    I shouldn't comment since I'm unqualified to do so, and I don't want to offend Knightsfeather above who has valid comments to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I am a living example of chaos theory in action or inaction ... not sure ...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger