Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Phasers On Stunned


The Urge To Purge

Phasers On Stunned

Some of you will remember that television show called Star Trek. I believe there were three or four reincarnations of the original series.

In the show, they had some weird devices on the 24th century starship, Enterprise. One of those devices was the "food replicator," which somehow had the ability to synthesize food and drink by magically turning energy into mass.

So, all you had to do was walk up to a kind of cubby hole in the wall and ask for whatever you wanted to eat and drink. In a matter of seconds, your entrée would be ready for you on a tray, and I don't believe a single case of dysentery or food poisoning was ever reported in the ship's log.

Yesterday, I was out and about, and on my way home, I decided to go to a 21st century version of the food replicator, better known to most of you as the "drive-thru window."


The Drive-Thru
Here in North America, most of the fast-food chains have drive-thru windows. Without having to leave your car, you pull up to a two-way audio terminal, usually at the side of the restaurant, and you order what you want to eat from a disembodied voice, presumably belonging to someone inside the restaurant.

Then you pull your car up to a small window, usually at the back of the restaurant, and your food is waiting there for you. It's not quite as miraculous as the food replicator on Star Trek, but it's a fast and convenient way to skip cooking for yourself.

However, there is probably one important difference between the 24th century and the 21st century versions of instant cuisine. There is definitely no guarantee that today's drive-thru menu will be as nutritionally sound as you might hope. In fact, foraging for food from a window at the back of a restaurant usually finds me suffering from a plague of what I call "bowling ball malaise." Briefly put, "bowling ball malaise" is the sensation of having a bowling ball in your wee tummy after you have consumed any kind of fast food, a sensation combined with an urgency to roll that ball down the alley and into the gutter, if you get my drift.

OK, the truth is that, like most people, I get ridiculously hopped up on some kind of appetite overdrive when I am at that little box where you order food. Instead of ordering something sensible, I order two bacon cheeseburgers, fries, a milkshake, a couple of pie sticks, and so on and so on. I simply run down the menu sign, with its tempting photos of full-meal deals, and I keep requesting more and more food-addict combos until I have ordered a medley of synthetic fat-fusion, gourmandizing jazz. Should the voice on the other end of this fulsome communication offer to "super size" or "biggie up" my selections, I seem unable to say anything but, "Of course." As a result, when I get to the pick-up window, the attendant hands me enough food to feed the entire Iraqi Navy.

Matters go from bad to worse when I actually eat most everything I ordered, sometimes even pulling bits of this or that out of the bag during my hasty drive home.

Yesterday was no exception.

The reult? A severe case of bowling ball malaise, and a long night of sitting on the toilet, coaxing my gluttonous maximus to fire at will, all the while engaging in some kind of pseudo-prayer, as in, "Lord, lord, lord, bring on the transfiguration already, and purge me of my unyielding excesses."

I have never been a quick study, and it seems that my memory banks fail me time and time again when it comes to the consumption of fast food. I know better, and yet I continue to indulge in such a constipated ritual of self-abuse.

Sometimes I think that all this imprudent disregard for my well-being might simply have something to do my humanity, with humanity's reckless abandonment, you know, like that little aphorism from Star Trek, which encouraged all of us "to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Or maybe, a better motto might be that well-worn phrase, "you are what you eat." Maybe that is why, after every time I eat fast food, I feel like shit, which I must confess is both my undoing and my salvation.


 




 

15 comments:

  1. Lol. The pic is hilarious along with your description of malaise. Lol. Although food poisoning is wretched !hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~chuckle~ ... Hope you feel better soon .... soup??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup? Now there's a thought ... haha ... I am fasting today ...

      Delete
  3. I have this fantasy about going back in time and explaining to first-century man that, in my time, we all drive around in self-propelled metal boxes and get our food by driving up next to windows. He would think I'm nuts, of course.

    Fast food makes up over 95% of my diet in an average week, and interestingly enough, right around 95% of the time, I seem to have gastro-intestinal issues. Might there be a correlation? Um, nah.

    Nice bluesy song for this time of morning, KJ.

    Hmm, McDonald's will be serving breakfast for another 4 hours here...

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kennedy, I'm so sorry to hear... hope you feel better...
    I'm not a fan of fast foods, but surly it helps sometimes, especially when you drive 2000km or more, you don't want to loose time and you can't leave your car because of two cats inside... Anyway, what I want to say is that nothing can compare with audio terminal in Germany, especially on the east part... It's really not that simple to communicate. Ha ! somehow it'd be much nicer if you could see person inside and simply show what you want !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "it'd be much nicer if you could see person inside and simply show what you want"

      I agree, the personal touch is always best ...

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness ... the video is fabulous.

    Here's the deal ... I paid McDonald's a visit this morning for a large coffee - $1.07. McD's now posts the calories/fats/etc. content on the drive-thru menu. That way you get to see what each item has to offer, which seems to be very little. As a reformed drive-thru junkie, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... more indigestion than pain ... but much better now ...

      Delete
  6. Oh my, once again I am laughing at your distress...only because I can so relate...
    Yesterday my daughter and I stopped at the drive thru at Burger King and got Angry Burgers and fries...why on earth would anyone eat something called Angry?
    It tasted really good...it is so not good for you and my daughter did not have to twist my arm to get one either LOL

    I think Fast Food could be addictive if you let it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... yes, I have seen ads for Angry Burgers ... but I suspect the Angry Burger would be a tad too spicy for me, but then, these days, even flavoured oatmeal sends my digestive track into delirium ...

      Delete
  7. The only time I REALLY ever thought I was going to die was when I got food poisoning from eating at a fast food place. I avoid them now for the most part, although I do sometimes stop at one if I am traveling and don't want to get out of the car. Besides that, my son and his best friend worked in one when he was in high school and when they got older and could not get in trouble from me (haha), they began to tell stories of the shenanigans they and other workers would pull while preparing the food. I would think twice before eating there if I were you :-)

    Hope you feel better Kennedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 100% today. Just had to endure the journey of the fries, I guess ... haha ... at least until the next time I lose my mind ...

      Delete
  8. What is it with boys and pooping? Is it a life-long fascination? :D LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger