Saturday, December 01, 2012

Things I Miss ... The Neuralgia of Nostalgia


Left Behind

Things I Miss ... The Neuralgia of Nostalgia

I'm rarely sentimental
about things fundamental
but some days I miss
things like this ...

  • coffee served in real cups
  • sleeping in past noon
  • Kookie on 77 Sunset Strip
  • gas station attendants
  • chrome
  • boom boxes
  • crinolines
  • coloured toilet paper
  • going steady
  • my Davy Crockett hat
  • 45 records
  • Woolworth's Five and Dime
  • tobogganing
  • the Saturday matinée at the neighbourhood cinema
  • reading interesting cereal boxes
  • getting more than one Valentine's card
  • marbles
  • Brylcreem
  • The Ed Sullivan Show
  • TV dinners in aluminium plates
  • drive-in movies
  • drive-in restaurants
  • birthday parties
  • blue-soled Keds
  • flying a cardboard box
  • root beer floats
  • lime cokes
  • The Hardy Boys
  • climbing trees
  • backyard skating rinks
  • Viewmaster film strips
  • turtleneck sweaters
  • bumper cars
  • Bob Hope on the Oscars
  • Wynola
  • tree forts
  • having cousins
  • desert boots
  • two cans and a long string
  • peepholes
  • walking on railway tracks
  • pin-up models who actually left something to your imagination
  • sock-hops
  • snack bars in department stores
  • face-to-face social networks
  • rocket radios
  • camping
  • comic books
  • teddy bears
  • the circus
  • playing pretend

There are lots of different people I miss as well
Some have likely gone to Heaven, others are probably in Hell,
But I guess it's pretty obvious and something that can't be hid,
The thing I miss most is just being a kid ...
 





 

12 comments:

  1. "Kookie on 77 Sunset Strip"

    Cool, Daddy-O!

    For the longest time now, I've been meaning to go back to that cave in Honalee and look up that dragon - maybe this coming year.

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "For the longest time now, I've been meaning to go back to that cave in Honalee and look up that dragon - maybe this coming year."

      Haha ... well, be careful ...

      Delete
  2. Well, I don't know what Wynola is, but I can relate to several of the things you mentioned, unfortunately--lime Cokes, especially. The good things shouldn't go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wynola was a soft drink, sort of like Dr Pepper, that I loved as a kid ...

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on the interesting cereal boxes...
    you had a Davy Crockett hat..and you let it go!??
    ..I had the coolest most comfortable pair of desert boots eva..
    aww gee..I think I probably know all the words to Puff the magic dragon! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I still wear desert boots on occasion ... but they are getting hard to come by ...

      Delete
  4. I had almost forgotten about desert boots
    ...I have to admit I sometimes still pretend
    I think everyone should make a list of the things they miss from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I have to admit I sometimes still pretend"

      We must never lose out imaginations ...

      Delete
  5. Tobogganing and reading cereal boxes ! Yes my siblings an I really enjoyed that. I couldn't find a toboggan an believe me I looked around here. Wonderful memories you share :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have loved tobogganing, and I can't even begin to count the number of times I almost wrapped myself around a tree ...

      Delete
  6. Oh my, your list reminded me of so many fond memories. I'm going to take a stroll down Memory Lane ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is one оf the most significant info for
    mе. And i'm glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers
    My page: sex toys

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger