Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Day At The Spa


Serene Green


A Day At The Spa

I think I need a day at the Spa. Not the spa that grinds and slimes your body into some sort of physical state of euphoria. No, I need a weekend at the Mind & Soul Spa, where you get your feelings and doubts and guilt and all those other psychological nuances crushed and flushed out.

I want to be dipped in a mental mud bath, where I can wallow in the sticky goo and moan and groan about how unfair life is. Then, when they hose me off, I'll feel as though all the real or imagined agonies of my life will just be washed away and swirl clockwise down the drain.

I don't want a manicure or a pedicure. I want a psyche-cure. I want some wisp of a girl to sandpaper off the callouses on my soul.

I have always found it to be a mystery that, as time goes by, people watch their bodies crinkle and sag, but they never really consider that their inside lives might be doing the same. One's hopes, beliefs, morals, ambitions — all change as we get older. Some of these become redundant, because we fulfill some of our dreams, and these dreams become the realities of our daily lives. Other expectations and promises to ourselves are transformed by the wear and tear of disappointment and failure.

Just as the body needs constant attention, so too does our sense of completeness, our happiness. Too many people exercise and diet to prolong the physical side of life, without considering that the spiritual side of life also needs some kind of regimen of exercise and diet. Some writers and philosophers suggest that the two go hand in hand, that body and soul are interdependent.

One thing is certain. Happiness is never some kind of finality, never some completed jigsaw puzzle that can be framed and displayed on the kitchen wall, never really so concrete that you can hold on to it forever. Tomorrow, a shift in your emotional landscape may twist the nail from that wall, and your beautifully completed puzzle may fall to the floor and shatter into 1001 pieces again. Just ask anyone who has lost a loved one in a car accident how fragile happiness can be.

Well, therein lies the dilemma. Do you pick up the puzzle pieces amidst the shards of glass and start over? Or do you simply sweep the whole mess into the trash and give up the struggle?
 




 

11 comments:

  1. "No, I need a weekend at the Mind & Soul Spa, where you get your feelings and doubts and guilt and all those other psychological nuances crushed and flushed out."


    There were once these places where they attempted to do just that--they called them churches.

    ~Manfred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "they called them churches"

      Very true ... not so well attended these days ...

      Delete
  2. "Or do you simply sweep the whole mess into the trash and give up the struggle?"


    If I've learned anything in life, it's that you can't give up, if you plan to stick around.

    Hmm, I do believe that I have just come up with another of my many quotes.

    ~Manfred

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can go to the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, Georgia ... http://www.trappist.net/

    I wouldn't mind going to a spa and being pampered for a day or two ... maybe a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you need a mid-life detox cocktail
    gingerly pick up the pieces...put on gloves if you have to ...but never ever give up
    I have always loved this video, I think it's all the hugging :p



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it must be the longest hug on any music video ... and a great song to boot ... ;o}

      Delete
  5. So, how it was your weekend in spa?
    Hope you're ready to start a week with all new energy and postive emotions !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, new energy and positive emotions ... but first I need a good night's sleep ... ;o}

      Delete
  6. Yes, build an even better picture :) good am :) hope you get some R&R

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger