Saturday, March 02, 2013

Dream A Little Dream Of Me


Some Things Are Best Left Unsaid


Dream A Little Dream Of Me

It's always weird to me when I'm talking to someone, and suddenly, he or she wants to tell me about a dream from the night before.

What's weird is that the person often talks about the events of the dream as if those events really happened. It's a dream, for goodness sake. Nothing really happened, except that the chilli, at dinner, was maybe a little spicier than usual and created a bellyful of gas that somehow bubbled up into a dream during sleep. It's important to differentiate between what is real and what is not. The chilli was real, the gassy bloating was real, heck even the fact that you went to bed and had a dream was real. However, what happened in the dream was not real.

I suppose some Freudian or Jungian Psych undergrad may think that dreams are some kind of magic tunnel into our subconscious or a bridge to the collective unconscious, but I'm not so sure we even have a subconscious or an unconscious. In my age bracket, most people are barely conscious at all.

It's baffling to me that people find their dreams so interesting that they feel the need to share their midnight reveries with others.

From my experience, no one ever seems to dream about money or being rich and famous. Now, that seems odd to me. You'd think that being wealthy would be the number one dream, but apparently that is not so.

Most people dream of pretty horrific things. Some people dream of falling into an endless pit. Some people dream of being lost or confined in some mysterious and inescapable place. Some people dream of being chased by some ferocious animal, rats, spiders, and the like. Some people dream of being terminally ill or dying.

What gives? Why do so many people dream of scary things? Does anyone ever dream of pleasant things?

OK, well, there's sex.

A great many people talk about dreaming of having fabulous sex with someone other than their wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, or partner. These people twist and turn in bed while they imagine running through the Kama Sutra with some beautiful or handsome movie star, celebrity, or God forbid, some poetic blogger.

But, people, you can't go around the next day and talk about the fact that you had sex with Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, or someone in your social network last night. You didn't. You had a dream. It wasn't real. Do I have to go through the chilli paradigm again?

Some people have sex in their dreams, and others, who are actually having sex with someone, wish they were dreaming. Sex is like that. Sometimes, a night-time sexual fantasy seems so real, and yet it isn't real at all. It's just a dream. Other times, real sex is so bad, you wish it were a dream.

Yes, I know, another conundrum. I have no solution for either side of the problem.

The best that I can offer is that if you are dreaming of having sex and the sex is good, then just hope the sedation of that bedtime cup of hot cocoa or the Ambien lasts long enough to get you to the good part.

If you are really having sex with someone and wish the whole experience were a dream, my best advice is that you learn the art of moaning out a good "Oooh, oooh, ahhhhh, baby, baby, there, oh my ... my ... my, yesss," make like Tiger Woods, and putt out as quickly as possible.
 




 

15 comments:

  1. I dream nearly every night. Some dreams I remember all day long, while other dreams are forgotten the minute I wake up. Some dreams are total nightmares ... probably from watching too many detective movies and TV series. The most comforting dreams are the dreams about my parents.

    As for erotic dreams ... my lips are sealed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "As for erotic dreams ... my lips are sealed."

      I'm not sure how they could be erotic then ... ;o}

      Delete
  2. I very seldom dream but, when I do, I find that I can trace it back to something that happened, the day before and which seems to have come out in some subconscious, weird way. I think the more interesting question is, why do some people dream more than others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect we all dream about the same amount, but some people, like me, never remember their dreams ... I sometimes wonder what I'm missing ... haha ...

      Delete
  3. "... some poetic blogger."


    ... pretty close to the top of most people's list, I suspect.

    ~Manfred

    ReplyDelete
  4. dreams are one of life's little mysteries ...when you want to tell someone about a dream it's like ruining the mystery, isn't it?

    on the other hand the blog in which I got over 600 comments on Multiply went like this: I dreamt I had sex with one of my contacts?!...LOL :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting... but somehow I believe that our brain is able to keep some very short moments, which we experienced but didn't keep attention. They back into the dream or maybe they were a dream before and appear after in daily life... Déjà vu !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my whole life sometimes seems like a series of déjà vus ...

      Delete
  6. Dream's are a way of releasing the creative imagination I reckon ... the subconscious retains information for our entertainment ... perhaps.
    Dreaming does have a connection to reality as it is an interpretation of something we have experienced ... but its definitely not something I would talk about. Erin on the other hand will talk about her dreams for hours ~grin~ they usually relate to insecurity or chaos ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insecurity makes talkers of us all ... I think it's good to put your worries out there for a second opinion.

      Delete
  7. You mean to tell me the sex in dreams is not real? Great........that means I have been celibate for quite some time now..... and here I thought I was some hot mama !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you don't have to be sexy to have sex, and you don't need to have sex to be sexy ... so there you go, Ms. HM ...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger