Thursday, March 28, 2013

In A Pickle


Miss America 2013


In A Pickle

At the time of His crucifixion on a not so good Friday many centuries ago, Jesus wore a crown of thorns. I'm sure that little fashion statement wasn't His choice. Nothing could be more uncomfortable. Granted, the plus side of that particular model of crown would be that there is little chance of having it slip from one's head.

Which brings to mind the Miss America pageant that I watched on television some time ago.

Whenever they crown a Miss America, that sparkling tiara almost always falls off the winner's sleek blonde hairdo. OK, Miss America isn't always blonde, but let's not quibble about stereotypes.

As the story normally unfolds, once the losers have been announced as "runner-ups," the winner goes into a kind of hysterical seizure while we watch last year's Miss America attempt to pinch and bobby pin a crown of glitter on the new Miss America's head. At times, I have to wonder why they don't just use a staple gun. Maybe there's some concern that a staple to the back of such a beautiful head might leave a mark, despite all indications that, more often than not, we're dealing with a cork skull. Perhaps a hot glue gun would be better suited for the task.

I know. I'm being unkind to the beauty pageant world. Lord knows it's a thankless job with few perks and no retirement benefits other than repeated appearances on The Shopping Channel.

Pageant girls start early in life, and before the age of five, they are dressed in frilly clothes and made up to look like Church Street hookers. I don't really know if there are hookers on Church Street in your town, or even in my town for that matter, but I like the image it creates. Smacks of irony, don't you think?

At any rate, in the world of beauty pageantry, thousands of young girls are dragged from town to town, city to city, where they compete in one beauty contest after another, all for the glory of wearing a crown.

As the years go by, these girls lose their front teeth and watch their bodies go berserk. Most grow up and become ordinary looking young women, get married, have babies, and some time around menopause, file for divorce or become United States senators. A select few somehow sustain that Hollywood, starry-eyed "beauty" and continue along the road to regalia, adding such titles as Miss Kentucky Korn Harvest or Miss Purina Gravy Train to their resumés. Eventually, the most successful girls go on to the really big beauty contests — first the Miss Teen America pageant and then, of course, the grandest event of all, the Miss America pageant.

Once in a while, one or two pageant girls are murdered. But that's another story for another time.

We like crowns. But that doesn't mean just anyone gets to wear one. If you were the Queen of England, you would have a crown, and you could wear it any time you pleased. Off to the ballet? Wear a crown. Out to Sunday brunch at the Holiday Inn? Wear a crown. Suffering a bit of constipation and spending most of the day on the loo? Well, why not? Wear a crown. Of course, from my experience, Queen Liz II of England doesn't often wear a crown at all. I suspect she worries about being mistaken for Miss America.

Now, if you're President of the United States, you wouldn't dare wear a crown. People would worry that you were getting uppity, a tad too arrogant, and just a bit too full of yourself in a country that believes itself to be a democracy in which all men and women are told that they are created equal, except at income tax time. So no crown for the President. Seems a shame really. The leader of the most powerful country in the world should have some distinguishing garb. Maybe a cape would work? Or a rodeo-sized belt buckle? Perhaps a buckskin coat with a nice fringe and a quiver full of feathered arrows with a bow strapped to his back? Must be something.

I confess that I have often had dreams of wearing a crown. Sadly, it's never a gold crown, never a regal coronet of rubies and diamonds. For the most part, I wake up to the horror of finding myself wearing a crown of gherkins. I'm never sure why that is, but I'm sure the symbolism doesn't escape you.
 




16 comments:

  1. hehehe such imagination... crown of gherkins.... why you find it like a horror? Gherkins have lots of benetifs... almost no calories !!! (that's very important for a beauty contest ;) ) your skin will be perfect and immune system, teeth and bones stronger, you'll not get high pressure !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... well, with all those great attributes, gherkins it is ... although I was hoping for a giant dill pickle ... ;o}

      Delete
  2. Gherkins? Hmmm ... have you been snacking before going to sleep? As for beauty pageants, I believe a girl should be at least 16 before she is allowed to enter a pageant. Parading girls around at a very young age should be grounds for child abuse. It's horrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I have been snacking before going to sleep, but never gherkins ... now chocolate chip cookies, well, that's another matter ...

      Delete
  3. "... a staple gun... a glue gun..."


    I"m all for using a nail gun with ten-penny nails and putting the bimbo out of her misery before she procreates.

    ~Manfred

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Suffering a bit of constipation and spending most of the day on the loo? Well, why not? Wear a crown."

    ... after all, it would only be appropriate to wear a crown when sitting on the throne.

    ~Manfred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great line ... damn, wish I had thought of it ... hahaha ...

      Delete
    2. ...I'm liking that comment...lol

      Delete
  5. I am laughing so hard I can't think of a thing to say......gherkins huh ?? Aren't those the tiny shriveled up pickles????? :-O
    hmmmmm not sure I get the symbolism here....

    Nice song , don't think I ever heard it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "not sure I get the symbolism here"

      Probably just as well ... I'm glad you liked the song ...

      Delete

  6. I am at a loss, I stopped watching those when I was about 10...
    Do you watch the Miss Canada pageant too? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm a sucker for a pretty face, I guess ... and yes, I do watch the Miss Canada pageant ... ;o}

      Delete
  7. Love the opening comparison. '...a not so Good Friday...'. Beauty pageants especially those with children do have such a vile undertone for so many reasons that leaves many of us disgusted by the whole charade and angry with adults who encourage it.

    Everyone is beautiful in some ways. They may only need to feel that to bring forth their best character.That whole forgiveness thing in a way helps people realise that instead of beating up on themselves and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the whole "beauty" thing is more a media event than anything else. Certainly there is a huge percentage of young women who must feel left out of the world of beauty pageants, or perhaps, they are just smart enough to see these parade charades for what they are.

      Delete
  8. ...one of my fav music vids ever.

    I did wonder when we would get to the pickle.. a crown of pickles isn't remotely like a crown of prickles...

    ...I do have a crown, though I prefer my tiara..

    ...and enough of this false modesty sir, you deserve a gold crown for blogmanship at the very least :)

    ...but i'll confess that the image of a cucumber crown is a mighty one indeed!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger