Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Stuck


Looking For Inspiration


Stuck

Every one gets stuck in a rut from time to time. I'm no different.

Lately, I've been procrastinating and putting off writing a story that I plan to enter into a big contest here in Toronto. I've entered before, several times, and one year reached the top ten, but I have never won it. This year, I have a great plot line, but again, I'm dawdling over actually getting the words up here on this computer screen.

I have been in this place before. I have found that you can't fight your way out of it or anything like that. Creativity has a mind of its own. Mine is off in Bali or Belize or some such exotic/erotic place with my inspiration, and I suspect the two of them are hitting the late night bars and trying to pick up dull bimbos dressed in skimpy adjectives and adverbs. I just need to let them have their little booty spree, until they decide to come back and get to work.

Writing is work. It's tough work, methodical at times. Editing is worse. Editing is brain surgery, where you look at things through those wild, microscopic head sets that brain surgeons wear.

The "experts" say that you shouldn't edit your own material. You should have an impersonal and objective reader critique your work. From my experience, it's always best to have an editor who lives far away. Then, when he or she tells you that your very best stuff is crap and needs to go, you won't be tempted to go over and throttle him or her.

I should stop eating Greek yogurt in the morning while I write this stuff. My keyboard is getting sticky. So far, the hhhh key is repeating like bad fish sticks, and my CAPS LOCK seems to take over whenever it so desires.

Seems like everything is a little stuck these days here high in the sky, overlooking the lights of Toronto in the middle of the night, and waiting for the sun to rise.

God help us if the sun were to get stuck ...
 




 

22 comments:

  1. Fun's over, time to get back to work. Best of luck and I hope you make it the top ten, or even number 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your best wishes.

      Actually, writing is fun as well ... just needs a focus and a pot of strong coffee ...

      Delete
    2. It is always fun for me when I have the words :-)
      I love that song by the way........

      Delete
  2. My problem has always been inspiration, since my fiction has been sparked, more from experience, than imagination. My editing skills were hard-fought, and I think I had achieved a creditable ability, in that regard. I love reading rough drafts, if you care to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I love reading rough drafts, if you care to share."

      Oh, that may be an offer I can't refuse. You would make a great editor, because your writing is so clean and succinct ... hmmm ...

      Delete
  3. "Lately, I've been procrastinating and putting off writing a story that I plan to enter into a big contest here in Toronto."

    How long do you have, KJ?

    ~Manfred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Competition opens on September 1 ...

      Here's a link for anyone else who may be interested. Sadly, only open to Canadians ...

      http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadawrites/literaryprizes/shortstory/

      Delete
  4. Yes, then we would really be in trouble.

    Anyway, I think your keyboard needs a shower. Unplug it and let water pour over it until it is clean, and not use it again before you are 100% no water is left inside.

    Wishing you good luck with that contest, you are a good writer no matter what-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shower idea sounds a bit too risky, but thanks for your nice comment.

      Delete
    2. It sounds risky, but it works. Just make sure it is dry when you start using it again.

      Delete
    3. I'm not afraid to admit that I have showered with a great many people, but never a keyboard. That might be a little outside my comfort zone ...

      Maybe, I'll just give it a nice sponge bath ... ;o}

      Delete
  5. maybe you should use a spoon with the yogurt? :p

    I wish I had some great advice for getting unstuck.
    ...a walk (alone) in the forest or on beach usually inspire me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does one have to be alone? You could join me... and we could bring sandwiches... maybe some yogurt and share a spoon.

      Delete
    2. No of course not...I meant like meditating type of walk

      A walk together would inspiring too...sharing sandwiches, yogurt and a spoon would be divine :)

      Delete
  6. Why don't you treat yourself to a new keyboard? I suspect you are going to write a brilliant award winning story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But all my words are in this keyboard ... I'd have to start from scratch ... like going back to Grade 2 ... ;o[

      Delete
  7. Ahhh I am queen of procrastinating. I guess that on reflection all that down time is really getting you 'reved' up and when the moment is right, you will work extremely efficiently.

    I always find starting is the hardest. Sometimes I even feel sick because I haven't started but when I finally do, I will work for many long hours, days etc unstoppable. That has got to be the hard way!
    I expect your writing process must be much less torturous.

    Good Luck dear KJ. It will be done well.
    Let's drink to that.
    Cheers. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck indeed. You have all the ingredients, go make a winning story sandwich...with mustard.

    That's a beautiful song..now stuck in my head...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger