Saturday, March 28, 2015

"Do Your Best"




"Do Your Best"

When I was just a young man of nineteen years, my mother brushed her hand through my hair on a warm spring day. "Do your best," she said to me softly. That summer she was gone. Forever.

Over the years, I have thought back on that spot of time, and I have often wondered whether or not I have done what my mother asked. Have I done my best? Or have I just done what I could?

I never measure my life by the things that I have failed to accomplish. Looking back, I think that I have always stretched every experience to the breaking point, sometimes just to see whether, when faced by certain calamity, I would break down or break through.

To be honest, I failed once or twice, lost control, guessed at the wrong meaning of things and crumbled under the weight of so much otherness that it silenced my voice.

But I never broke my word, never took back a promise, and never broke a heart before my heart was broken first.

"Do your best," my mother said to me softly.

I did, I think, but sometimes, I wonder if even our best is enough.
 






 








 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger