Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Recollections Of Florida




Recollections Of Florida

I am sipping a tall glass of sunny Florida orange juice. Nothing better in the dark of a March morning.

I spent the summer of '95 in Florida, just south of Sarasota. I remember how hot it was. So hot, in fact, that my daughter would literally run from air-conditioned car to air-conditioned building and spent little, if any time, outdoors unless we were at a beach.

Me? I loved the heat. I used to go for long walks in the dead of the day, and come back to our townhouse drenched in sweat.

What I remember most about Florida was this small truck stop café that was along my walking route. I used to spend an hour in it, sipping on an iced coffee and soaking in the out-of-the-way Florida culture. Many colourful locals found their way into my writing notebook that summer, and I think, to this day, they continue to show up as characters in my short stories. They were always so offbeat.

I like offbeat. I like weird.

What I don't like is repetition, the dull and mundane life of predictable people in predictable dilemmas.

I don't ever really miss stuff I've done in my life, but this morning, I'd sure love to be back in Florida on a hot summer's day, while listening to Old Pete and Mercy Mary complaining about the humidity and arguing with one another about whether or not Jesus had a son, whose descendants are now living on the Keys.
 







 








 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger