Monday, October 05, 2015

Jazz Hands




Jazz Hands

I seem to have developed a case of jazz hands.

At first, I thought that maybe it was palsy or some nervous condition, you know, something like delerium tremens or spasmosa handsamosa, something for which I could maybe get some medical attention, maybe get some Rx pill to calm my flailing fingers, but no such luck. It's definitely the Bob Fosse curse, a clear-cut, summer-stock case of jazz hands.

From the moment I wake up in the morning, my jazz hands flutter and fly, jitter and jive, slip and slide.

I can't button a shirt, can't pee with any certainty of finding the target, can't carry a full cup of coffee more than a downstage side step or two, can't lift a forkful of food to my mouth for fear of taking out an eye, can't dial a telephone number without getting someone selling flip-flops in Indonesia, can't much hold, never mind read the morning newspaper, can't even scratch my head in wonder, because my jazz hand dances a foot to the left or twelve inches to the right, and all I manage to scratch is air.

It's quite seriously a condition that is afflicting almost every aspect of my life.

It's also very embarrassing.

Why, just the other day, I was at a social gathering, and at such little events, it is customary to shake hands, pump fists, or high five the people you meet. I wanted to participate in those skin-to-skin, glad-handed rituals, I really did, but my jazz hands would just flip and flop or dip and dive all over the place, and seriously, shaking my hand, pumping my fist, or throwing me a high five was like trying to catch a butterfly in a garden of indecent pleasures.

I'm sure most of the people whom I met must have thought me exceedingly rude or, at the very least, as wacky as some cartoon character out of an early Warner Bros television show. I wanted to say, "Jazz hands, I have jazz hands. It's not my fault," but I couldn't or wouldn't, because I had already embarrassed myself enough.

As the afternoon wore on, I slowly realised that most men find jazz hands a little effeminate. Sure, the slender guy in the languid pink polo shirt didn't seem to mind too much, but his own hands hung in mid-air like big girl panties pegged to a clothesline.

The typical woman's reaction, I discovered, was completely the opposite of their inside-out gender counterparts. Strangely enough, every woman seemed fascinated with my jazz hands. I can't imagine why.
 








 








 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger