Thursday, October 22, 2015

My Type-Q Personality




My Type-Q Personality

At first, I thought it was maybe a typo of the worst kind. I wondered if the young girl in the white smock outside my doctor's office had let her little finger drift upwards on the keyboard, wondered if she had mistakenly slapped a Q when she meant to hit an A. But, there it was, glaring at me from the form in my medical file. In the little box next to Personality Type, a capital Q.

What, in all of God's creation, is a Type-Q personality?

All my life, it's been hurry-worry-worry-hurry. On my own at the age of 17, I hustled through university, married at the young age of 24, had kids by the time I was 30, bought a house, had a successful career, survived a divorce, lost a house, rebuilt my life ... well, you get the idea. I can't remember being anything but a grasping, gasping Type-A, bound-for-an early-heart-attack kind of guy.

When did I slip into being a Type-Q?

And what does that Q stand for? Quitter? Questionable? Quarrelsome? Queer?

So I Q-for-queried my doctor the moment he appeared in the freezing cold examining room.

"Why Q?" I asked. "I've never heard of a Type-Q personality. What does it mean?"

"Quiet," he replied with one of those deadpan doctor looks.

"No," I retorted with some Type-A spittle flying from my lips, "don't just try to shut me up. Tell me what a Type-Q personality is."

He smirked and turned away from me.

"It's funny?" I continued as I reeled through my Q-for-quandary. "Why is it funny?"

He turned to face me with something of a broad bill of a smile on his face, but said nothing.

I Q-for-quivered with a sense of outrage, while frankly becoming more and more Q-for-queasy as the moments passed.

"You need to explain," I Q-for-quickly insisted. "Chalk it up to my Q-riousity."

"You're overreacting," he Q-for-quipped with a snicker, before adding, "the Q simply stands for quiet."

"Type-Q-for-quiet?" I guffawed. Then, in something of a softer voice, I wondered, "Type-Q-for-quiet, what does that mean?"

"Simply that you're a very quiet man," this obviously wise and learned doctor explained. "Most days, you're the picture of serenity."

"Oh," I mumbled, seriously humbled. "Well, thank-you, I take that as a huge compliment. I thought, for a moment, that you were something of a Q-for-quack."

He smiled again, ruffled his tail feathers, and shimmied his rear end. "I trust," he began with something of a bleat, before hesitating a moment while clearing his throat. "I trust," he continued, "that I have Q-for-quashed some of your Q-for-qualms."

To which, I could only reply, "Yes, Q-for-quite."
 










 








 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger