Friday, April 19, 2013

Cereal Killer



Cereal Killer

I'm slopping down a bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats and dripping sticky milk down the front of my dirty white T-shirt as I type this morning. I woke up starving. Wonder why some days are like that?

I like cereal, but I miss the prizes that used to be tucked into the box. When I was a kid, every box of cereal had some little plastic trinket mixed in with the Rice Krispies or the Sugar Pops.

In our home, you weren't allowed to stick your hand in the box and fish around for the prize. I had two sisters, and my mother's rule was that whoever "poured" the prize into his or her bowl, then you claimed the trinket as your own. If I remember correctly, I used to have heaping bowls of cereal.

Now we get nothing. Well, maybe that's not completely true. I did get a Tony the Tiger toothbrush in a box of Frosted Flakes a few years back. I thought that was pretty ironic, actually.

I guess there's a lesson here. Maybe, life is like the cereal box. You hope for a prize, but sometimes all you get are the corn flakes. Sometimes, it leaves you wondering if life's prizes and surprises have all been used up.

So it goes ...
 




 

9 comments:

  1. oh yes, I remember little plastic trinket too. From other hand, if you can't find it nowadays, maybe taking care of your health should be enough benefit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I'm not sure how good cereal is for your health, although I guess some are better than others. Best to avoid the sugary ones ... ;o}

      Delete
  2. "Sometimes, it leaves you wondering if life's prizes and surprises have all been used up."

    Nope! That's not about to happen. As for cereal, Rice Chex, please ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... well, I tried Rice Chex ... but I think the box would have had more flavour ... ;o}

      Delete
  3. Well, the news has afforded some rather nasty surprises, lately. I think they could be tucked into a box of shredded wheat and thrown away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would normally recommend Cracker Jacks, KJ, but because of what has since been deemed choking hazards, all the really good prizes have been replaced by worthless little booklets, which would encourage no one to buy them for the prizes alone.

    I always thought one of the incidental benefits of eating cereal was being able to read what was written on the boxes, over and over and over again. By the time you were down to reading the © Kelloggs 1966 for the 15th time, it was time to get a new box of cereal.

    ~Manfred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also a cereal box reader ... someone could have made a bit of money if he or she had figured out how to run a serial adventure story on those boxes ... pun intended, of course ...

      Delete

  5. the only cereal I buy is oatmeal and they never have prizes :p

    giving surprises on the other hand is so much fun...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger