Friday, April 26, 2013

Love Is Just A Four-Letter Word



Love Is Just A Four-Letter Word

"I love you ..."

Have you ever wondered how many times you have said those three magic words? More than once, surely. More than a hundred, probably. More than many thousands, possibly.

I must admit that I have difficulty with the word, "love."

The thing is that love is love. It's a single word. It should have a specific, single meaning, but like so many words in our language, it has all these variations. And what crazy variations.

Love your dog or cat? Of course. Love your children? Of course. Love your mother and father? Hopefully. Same feeling in every case? Of course not.

"Love ... " A simple four-letter word, and yet so imprecise because it has so many different meanings in so many different contexts. One moment it defines one feeling; the next moment it defines another feeling. And on and on it goes.

So, when you say, "I love you" to your lover, what are you saying? When does that word, "love," suddenly become more than what it meant when you crooned, "I love you, Booboo," to your cocker spaniel or your calico pussy?
 


 

10 comments:

  1. Great title and post !
    Sometimes you feel love around you and you don't need to say it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sometimes you feel love around you and you don't need to say it..."

      That's the sign of true love ...

      Delete
  2. i don't...nopes...i can count on my fingers the number of people and the number of times i have said it ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it obviously has a special and important meaning to you ... I guess it's not a word we should throw about as often as some of us do ...

      Delete
  3. reminds me of an allison kraus song,,,,,you say it best when you say nothing at all.....hopefully its said with importance :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "So, when you say, "I love you" to your lover, what are you saying?"

    I'm saying that he is my heart, my passion, and I can't imagine my life without him in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. for me love is a feeling that has different degrees, like a stove top dial low up to high "I love photography" would be low on the dial and saying "I love you" to a person would be high

    we have words to describe emotions, but the words don't always do their job properly or fully

    some other languages have more than one word for love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your stove-top analogy ... and yes, love for another person would definitely be a high heat ... with some sizzzzle ... ;o}

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger