Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sensory Deprivation



Sensory Deprivation

Imagine, if you will, a sudden throwback of the human race. Now, I don't mean that we would suddenly be thrust back to being frogs or whatever decided to climb out of the changing genetic cesspool when the Earth still maintained a few rain forests. I like frogs, but I'm not really keen on the slime involved in being a frog, and I have no appetite for flies.

No, imagine that we somehow got spit through the window of history to a stage in our development when we started developing our five senses.

In this whack back to genesis, imagine if the powers-that-be or simply the random chaos of DNA-in-motion somehow left out one of those five senses. We would have to forfeit our ability to see, to hear, to smell, to taste, or to feel the textures of the world through our sense of touch.

Our lives would change. This little twist of fate would leave us blind, deaf and dumb, oblivious to the urge to buy a freshly baked Cinnabon in the mall, unable to differentiate between top sirloin steak and liver, or without any sense of touch as if we were walking around while wrapped in what would be something like a giant army-issue condom.

One part of our vital sensory link to our everyday world would simply disappear.

Which of those five senses would you choose to give up?
 




10 comments:

  1. yep, difficult question.
    My bones tell me when it's going to rain... I wouldn't mind not to get such "news" and feel very young again :)

    Fab Day Kennedy !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a tough one. I'd say the sense of touch. If you can't smell, you can't taste your food. Sight and hearing also seem vital. If you can't hear music, the world must be very gray, and if you can't see, your options are also very limited. If you can't touch, would you also not feel pain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "If you can't touch, would you also not feel pain?"

      Well, if not, that would be a bonus ...

      Delete
  3. None of the above ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may have missed the premise of the piece ...

      Delete
  4. I actually asked this question on a blog many moons ago...this is difficult

    Actually you can still taste about 20% of food without the sense of smell and at first I thought I might go with that, but after thinking about it I think the hearing loss would be my answer, there are a lot of things I might not miss hearing and I could still feel the vibrations of music...

    What about you Kennedy, what would you forfeit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given the choices, I think I might forfeit the sense of smell ... most of the world sort of stinks these days anyway. My son has no sense of smell, and he seems to get along just fine ...

      Delete
  5. the sense of smell and touch seem to be the less debilitating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I couldn't give up the sense of touch ... it would mean the end of sex ... haha ... can't give that up ... ;o}

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger