Sunday, April 28, 2013

Teach Your Children



Teach Your Children

Last night, I talked to my son on the telephone for a while. It always amazes me how these children of ours grow into young men and woman who, like it or not, step outside the relationship we once had with them.

My son and I have always been close, and we continue to be that way. Still, things have changed. He has a wonderful family of his own now, and a beautiful young two-year-old daughter. He has new responsibilities that define how he lives his life. The days of jetting off to Europe together or cruising upper New York State to follow Bob Dylan on tour are behind us. Now, whenever I talk to him about how I plan to travel here or there, he gets something of a hitch in his voice. He remembers how it used to be, and then he remembers how it is.

I am not one to hang on to my children, to either my son or my daughter. I think that these young men and women, who find themselves a life outside the relationship they have with their parents, should be encouraged to make it on their own. After all, you can only coddle them for so long.

What's left is your chance to love and support them in a new way, not by hanging on to your hopes and dreams for them, but by hanging on to the hopes and dreams that they have for themselves.
 


 

10 comments:

  1. So true !
    By the way, what about your sunday soup?

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, "The Sunday Soup" appears to be on the back burner these days ...

      You have a great day too, Doronette.

      ;o}

      Delete
  2. CS&N got it right and so did you. Your message and the photo of you and your son are absolutely wonderful.

    "What's left is your chance to love and support them in a new way, not by hanging on to your hopes and dreams for them, but by hanging on to the hopes and dreams that they have for themselves."


    ReplyDelete
  3. CS & N are coming to Huntsville, in May. Unfortunately, only balcony seats are left, at $79 a pop. I'm proud of how my kids have turned out. I don't see them often enough, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the price of concert tickets is almost obscene. Drives me crazy.

      I see my kids and grandkids just often enough, I think.

      Delete
  4. I am so proud of you and I sure miss you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sis ... I may be out your way this summer ... :o}

      Delete
  5. it is ridiculous to coddle grown children, I have moved on to coddling the grandsons...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... yes, I do the same with my grandkids ...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger