Monday, April 29, 2013

Don't Mind My Cough ...



Don't Mind My Cough ...

I have to admit that I'm no fan of insects. I know they are a part of our eco-system, but ticks, spiders, mosquitoes ... I think they're all just a bad hangover from prehistoric times.

When I was a kid living in Winnipeg, the mosquitoes were so bad that the city used to run these fogging machines around the streets. A truck would pull this contraption up and down the streets and lanes, and clouds of who knows what would billow into the air.

The weird thing is that, whenever the fog machines showed up, every kid in the neighbourhood used to jump on his or her bike and ride in the fog. It was sort of a mysterious adventure as we disappeared into the fog cloud.

How good could that be for young lungs? Man, the things we didn't know.

Our parents should have kept us in the house, where we could enjoy the clouds of their second-hand smoke ...
 


 

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It definitely makes me wonder how we survived ... ;o}

      Delete
  2. Let's not forget the trucks with the fogging machines that would spray the living daylights out of people at the drive-in theaters ... ugh!

    Good song choice ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... well, I wasn't aware of that happening at drive-in theatres ... of course, I wasn't aware of the movies playing either ... ;o}

      Delete
  3. I never knew such a thing existed!!! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy, isn't it ... I think we all got a whiff of DDT or some such thing ...

      Delete
  4. We did exactly the same thing in military-with-dependents housing, KJ. A truck, which looked a little bit like an over-sized ice cream truck, would come to spray against caterpillars and all the kids in the neighborhood would walk behind it, enveloping ourselves in the fog. I can still remember the odor that stuff emitted, as if it was yesterday. As far as I can tell, it never did me any harm.

    ~Manfred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "As far as I can tell, it never did me any harm."

      So, you think two thumbs on one hand is normal, then?

      I'm just surprised there hasn't been a massive baby-boomer lawsuit ...

      Delete
  5. they do that in airplanes now ~thank goodness
    Smoke on the Water...perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, airplanes are like flying petri dishes ... all kinds of bacteria floating around ... I have always wondered how flight attendants survive ...

      Delete
    2. oh I meant spray that foggy stuff hahaha
      but you are so right about the airplane illnesses!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger