Tuesday, April 23, 2013

You Are What You Eat



I Shouldn't Have Had A V8

You Are What You Eat

I never eat fast foods anymore. I eat slow foods instead, I guess, foods that I prepare, foods that take more than a microwave minute to cook.

In fact, I can't remember when I last ate at McDonald's or Burger King or Wendy's. I think the closest I've come to those types of restaurants was at a Subway a while ago. I like Subway sandwiches, but still, I prefer to make my own.

There's an old saying that "You are what you eat." I have never been sure what that really means.

If I eat a peach, am I peachy-keen?

If I eat a strawberry, am I a little bale of straw or a berry happy fellow? Should I be looking for a bit of shortcake?

If I eat a banana, am I, uh, a banana split?

And what if I eat a duck? Do I become a fowl, or am I just inclined to act somewhat foul for the rest of the evening?

Yeah, I don't get it.

I do get that nutrition is important, and that we should all stop eating as much as some of us do. Too many of us simply eat too much. Too many of us have eating patterns based on a sugar addiction which we inherited from our parents who thought that candy was dandy and sort of a Ritalin that would stop us from "acting up." So now the chocolate bar generation is suffering from diabetes or other nutritional diseases.

These days, we have the younger "organics" generation, who believe that eating "natural" foods is the way to go. Again, I guess natural is good, but I'm really not sure that from field to mouth is all that healthy. I mean, shouldn't your broccoli be checked for wormy little critters? Shouldn't your steak be checked by somebody for things like "mad cow disease"?

Some days, I think I'm mad, but I have never imagined myself a cow.

© Copyright, Kennedy James. All rights reserved.
 




 

9 comments:

  1. Great post KJ! In fact, you need to develop good food habits and find out what to do for your body and soul. Unfortunately, you can't do this during one or two days; this process takes the time, and surly on the begining you'll miss "good taste". Hm... but what is "good taste"? This one which we like, are used to or that one which let our bodies to be in better health?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fast food seems to have two culprits in it — salt or sugar — both of which people seem to love, both of which can cause health problems. Nobody wants bland food, but there are all kinds of seasonings that are not so bad for you. You just have to find your way off the road to diabetes or high blood pressure. You're right, Doronette, it takes time and patience.

      Delete
    2. Yep, I know what I say. I pay attention to what I eat, and it's interesting to realise that after the time, somehow you start to change yourself, your habits. Right now I'm so used to drink water (a lot of) and eat fruits and vegetables every day. The process is really long, but you're sure to feel better and better with every day. More, you'll look better too ! :)

      Delete
  2. Most days, I eat for energy or to stop my tummy from growling. Food no longer impresses me. But oh, my dear, what I wouldn't give for a gooey treat from Dunkin' Donuts ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... we don't have Dunkin' Donuts in Canada, at least not in Ontario, but we do have similar establishments, the most famous being Tim Horton's Donuts.

      Gooey? You bet! Good for you? Not even close ...

      Delete
    2. Tim Horton's Donuts? Hmmm ... It's just not fair that gooey can't be good for the body!

      Did you update Java Jive? I like it!

      Delete
    3. Yes, but nothing really that noticeable ... changes just locate the videos a little better ... :o}

      Delete
  3. and don't forget all of those carbs turn into sugar once inside the body *yikes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am ... bread, pasta, potatoes ... all culprits ... and fruit! So many people think fruit is a "health food." Goodness, most fruit is high in fructose, really just another name for sugar. Actually, anything ending in -tose is a form of sugar ... "yikes" is right ...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger