Monday, September 03, 2012

Happy Labour Day

Take The Rest Of The Day Off


Happy Labour Day

It's Labour Day, a holiday in North America. I'm not sure about the rest of the world. I suspect it's not a holiday in China or Russia. I'm not even sure if it's a holiday in England.

In North America, people tend to see Labour Day as a kind of unofficial end of summer. So, they pile in the car, head for the beach, and eat far too much greasy food. For most people, on this side of the world, that scenario amounts to a celebration. Yay! One last kick at the pleasures of surf and sand in your wiches.

Tomorrow, it's back to serious work, and in my part of Canada, the kids head back to school, with a new backpack full of new notebooks, pens, and maybe a new cell phone. Oh yeah, and new shoes ... always new shoes ... like overpriced Nikes to impress their peer group.

Right about now, teachers begin to get the twitches. That little muscle up along the cheekbone starts fibrillating like a the D-string of Eric Clapton's guitar. That is completely normal. Most won't get much sleep tonight, and that is completely normal as well. Anticipating the unknown is a terrible thing, and every teacher knows that tomorrow could bring the worst horror show of 30 or so of the craziest kids from all walks of life, a potpourri of students whom they are expected to control and instruct. Of course, tomorrow could also bring a pleasant surprise, and the teacher might walk into a classroom of perfectly well-behaved children. It's a crap-shoot really. Some years, you throw a seven; other years you throw snake-eyes.

Typically on the Labour Day weekend, those who have cottages pull in their boats, batten down the hatches, board up the cottage windows, and triple lock the doors. The hope is that the cottage will still be there next spring, at least more or less in one piece. Some cottages will get burglarized and some will burn to the ground. Test of faith, I guess.

For me, Labour Day has lost much of its meaning since I retired from teaching some seven years ago. Most years of my retirement, I have made myself scarce. I like to be "out-of-town," preferably somewhere exotic.

This year, I am home. I plan to do what I used to do with my own kids when they were school-age — have a movie festival of sorts — and wile away the day watching the latest DVD releases. Here is my line up:

Meeting Evil BernieThe Deep Blue Sea Battleship The Lorax

I'm not sure what my selection says about me. Some of them are a little dark. I choose The Lorax, because I like a little frivolity from time to time. Oh well, I'm not sure that I'll get through all of them. Usually, I fall asleep somewhere in the middle of the festival.

I hope you enjoy your day, no matter what you're doing.
 




 

4 comments:

  1. oh yes that is an interesting selection indeed lol

    both of my parents were teachers we always started back to school the day after Labor (that is not a misspelling of the word :p) Day...my grandson went back to school in July he goes to a charter school where they wear uniforms, a lot of the public schools here are starting to do that, I think it's a great idea (takes the focus of the unimportant)

    me? I will be working a few hours and that's OK I think I live in a semi exotic place...went to the beach Friday and yesterday...

    enjoy your day with the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The children here have been back to school for almost two weeks already, but they get out in mid May. I did nothing today in way of celebration. I don't really consider this a holiday. The only good thing about it, is the mail did not run today so I got no junk mail :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great selection. It is interesting that some groups are better than others. I found that when I taught nursing. It's happened with my crim running groups too. This past summer was a crap group. I'm hoping next summer will be loads more fun. I've really enjoyed the summer for the most part an hate to see it go. I spent time at the lake and my son an I didn't get much sleep with the new school days beginning. I hope he has some great teachers that he lives this year. It happens on both sides of the fence. He still talks about two teachers he couldn't stand and one who really made a difference in his life. I had one of those teachers in my life. I had a few inspire me, but one believed in me. That made the difference. Off my soap box. Welcome to sept :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger