Friday, September 14, 2012

i'm living in the forest now ...


Under Autumn's Canopy


i'm living in the forest now ...

i'm living in the forest now
past where the river flows into the lake
over Precambrian rock and purple thistle
down an unbeaten path through the shimmering poplar leaves
that turn the brightest yellow
just before the coming of snow

i'm living in the shadows now
dressed in rags and straw
while hanging from a wooden cross
to chase away the blue-black crows
who spy me slipping away from life
away from where i no longer find myself whole

i'm living away from tenderness now
embattled by some constant sorrow
that sketches your face in the flames of firelight
and through the cracks of each dark hour
i know i am slowly disappearing from time
but nothing here cares enough to hold me back

i'm living a tumbledown existence now
stealing solace from fragile memories
of the days when we were we
the hopeful hours before you let life go
and if i dream of you under the blanket of starry sleep
i do not remember dreaming when i wake

i'm living for just myself now
a half of what i was before
but somehow i still hear your voice softly singing
in the wind that ripples through the shimmering poplar leaves
that turn the brightest yellow
just before the coming of snow
 





11 comments:

  1. Oh beautiful picture! The poem is a collection of fallen leaves, sad but somehow sweet. You picked a good tune for it.. the right mood..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the song ... just a recent discovery ...

      The band is from a province in Canada, called Manitoba, and that is where I was born. So there is definitely a sentimental attachment to it all.

      The poem looks back to when, at 18 years old, I spent a winter in northern Manitoba, all alone in a rustic (no heat but a fireplace, no plumbing, no running water)cabin ... quite an experience ...

      Delete
  2. ~smile~ ... I kind of pick up a certain longing in these words ... not a sad longing really .. perhaps not even a memory ... more a poignant sentiment ... I'm rambling again ....
    Some how the picture and words seem to melt into one image ... it perfectly expressed the mood thats portrayed in that old photo of you by the fireplace ....
    ... love it .... and love the song too ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that picture was taken at the cabin where I stayed ... not so much a longing anymore (it was a hard winter), but I do remember the time fondly ... probably because I survived.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful poem. As usual you have painted quite the picture with your words. I imagine you had a lot of time to think and ponder while you lived in the woods all alone.

    The picture is beautiful but it makes me homesick for the north where there are real seasons :-(

    Have a great weekend Kennedy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there was certainly time for reflection ... and the best to you this weekend as well ...

      Delete
  4. First of all, the song is FABULOUS! Oh my goodness ...

    I would give anything to see Fall colors once again. Living in Florida, we don't experience the four seasons. Summer and January ... that's about it. I think the coolness of the season and the changing of the colors would add a certain amount of tenderness to my life. That's what I would like to believe on this rainy day.

    Peace and xxx ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the changing seasons do have an effect on your emotions ... in some ways you become a different person depending on the season ...

      Delete
  5. this poem evokes many emotions...I saw a scarecrow in between the Autumn lines...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was indeed a scarecrow in there ... I thought the image captured the idea of how life can sometimes seem hollow ...

      Delete
    2. so true and as I get older some little things get so hollow they disappear and hopefully at the end the only things that really matter will be left (if that makes sense)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger