Saturday, September 22, 2012

Necessary Solitude


Fortress Of Solitude


Necessary Solitude

Sometimes, life throws you, flips you out the Emergency Exit at the back of the bus, and leaves you in the gutter of heartache and loneliness.

I've seen it happen time and time again. I've been there too, amidst the broken promises and the lies. It's tough, tough to live in a world that suddenly seems uncaring, tough to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep going.

Then, sometimes, there is that special person in your life who holds your head above the water and keeps you from drowning in the sea of despair. Sometimes, it's a member of your family, sometimes it's a lover, sometimes it's a good friend.

Everyone needs someone.

When I was a kid, I read Superman comic books. I marvelled at his Fortress of Solitude, some remote cave of ice in the Arctic north. It was the superhero's place to spend time alone with his thoughts, a place to re-evaluate the terms of his existence.

Since those boyhood days, I must confess that the concept of "necessary solitude" has stayed with me for my entire life. I have spent long stretches of time away from the hurry-bury avalanche of life. For years, I believed that the only way to a true sense of inner peace was by finding a separate peace.

With age and presumably some wisdom, I'm not sure we are meant to travel this road of life alone. I'm not sure we were meant to be solitary singers, offering our hesitant voices a capella to an indifferent audience, while the band checks out for a gig in Fargo, North Dakota.



 





 

11 comments:

  1. I do believe that necessary solitude is vital to ones own sanity ... but agree ... we are not meant to be alone in this world. Finding the balance takes time (age) ... and those who are around, so we are not alone, probably enjoy their solitude too ... its about balances ... and age seems to give one that!
    Make Sense? ~grin~ ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, makes perfect sense ... the art of maintaining one's balance is not an easy one, but it is a necessary part of remaining sane in this wacky world of ours ...

      Delete
  2. We all need someone, but we also need to check in with our inner Superman, from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put ... now if we could only stay away from that damn Kryptonite ...

      Delete
  3. Lovely song ... I fully understand the need for quiet time, solitude, alone time ... whatever one wants to call it. It's healthy, and quite honestly, I've never been one to live out of someone's "hip pocket," so to speak. Balance has always been important to me, but there have been times I've been caught off balance. Now then, juggling ... that's a different story. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this yesterday, but that first line sent me back in time a couple of years when I was in that "gutter of heartache and lonliness". I like that phrase by the way, it is a perfect description.

    I personally enjoy my solitude from time to time these days. I don't get much of it so when it comes my way, it is very relaxing and refreshing. A time to reflect and ponder, or sometimes not think at all. I sometimes imagine living all alone somewhere out in the country surrounded by woods and think how peaceful that would be...... But, I would probably hear some noise at night and wish I was not there all alone. Then again, I would keep a shotgun by my side hahaha :-)

    Seriously though, there are times we all need to have that solitude, but I don't think most people could deal with being alone all of the time. I cherish my friends and family and they have been there for me through many difficult times throughout my life and I am grateful for them.

    I have to say also, I am never really alone, because I do believe in God who is always with me.

    Have a great day dear one

    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Solitude is a Must for me. It's not at all loneliness, rather the opposite. Most of us need both..being together and spending time alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I need some time alone. It really is all about maintaining a reasonable balance between company and solitude.

      Delete
  6. 'a place to re-evaluate' ..that's a good way to put it. I sure do need that sometimes, otherwise life becomes like a runaway train. I've always been very happy with my own company, however, I've never had the chance to be alone for very long...so I don't know how long it would take for me to get sick of it. All I know is I appreciate time to sort out the clutter in my mind. It makes me feel better organized. I just watched Notting Hill for the umpteenth time (my daughter begged me..) and I love the bit at the end where he and she are spending alone time together. Ah I wonder what that's like..I would like to try it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS..love your cartoons with the little circle signature...kyuute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger