Monday, September 10, 2012

Searchin' For My Lost Shaker Of Salt ...


Sun, Sand & Serendipity But, Alas, No Shaker Of Salt

Searchin' For My Lost Shaker Of Salt ...

I am sipping a tall glass of sunny Florida orange juice. Nothing better in the dark of a September morning.

I don't think it's time to ring the alarm bells or slam dunk the Panic! button, but I must confess it has been much cooler these days, at least in the early hours of the day. This morning the temperature has dropped to 13º C or about 55º F. Chilly.

I am not one who loves being cold, and I have always wondered why, at some point in my life, I didn't move south to a warmer climate.

My family and I spent the summer of '95 in Florida, just south of Sarasota. I remember how hot it was. So hot, in fact, that my daughter would literally run from air-conditioned car to air-conditioned building and spent little, if any time, outdoors unless we were at a beach where she could cool off in the ocean.

Me? I loved the heat. I used to go for long walks in the dead of the day, and come back to our town house drenched in sweat.

My daily outings usually took me to this small truck stop café. I used to spend at least an hour there, sitting at one of those 50's style soda shoppe counters, while sipping on an iced coffee and soaking in the out-of-the-way Florida culture. Many colourful locals found their way into my writing notebook that summer, and I think, to this day, they continue to show up as characters in my short stories. They were always so offbeat.

I like offbeat. I like weird, and I think that the idiosyncrasies of real life are truly the fuel for creativity.

What I don't like is repetition, the dull and mundane life of predictable people in predictable dilemmas.

I don't ever really miss stuff I've done in my life, but this morning, I'd sure love to be back in Florida on a hot summer's day, while listening to Old Pete and Mercy Mary complaining about the humidity and arguing with one another about whether or not Jesus had a son, whose descendants are now living somewhere on the Keys.


 





 

15 comments:

  1. sounds like you need to be down in Florida this winter, become a snowbird...Canadians can stay up to six months they tell me...
    The Sunshine State is my birthplace...
    I'll take the heat over cold and snow any day..but I do miss the fall colors on the trees palm leaves are always green lol

    now about that lost shaker of salt... :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm ... Florida in the winter ... now, there's an idea ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in Florida for the last 12.5 years. You are right, there are some real characters here, offbeat, that is a good word to describe them.
    I like it down here especially in the winter, but I miss the change of seasons, the colors of Fall, the re-birth of Spring.
    Love the song, have always loved Jimmy Buffet and Margaritas are my drink of choice :-))

    Stay warm Kennedy !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Canada, we have four distinct seasons ... but most do not like the winter. Here, in Toronto, the winters aren't too bad, but in other parts of the country they are bone-chilling cold.

      Delete
  4. Now you're talking! I've lived in Florida for most of my life. At times, it can be unbearable, but for the most part, it's not a bad place to live. You could become a Parrothead. Jimmy Buffet has been here a few times, and his loyal fans turn out in numbers. I'll leave a light on and a key under the "Welcome" mat. See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a Parrothead ... and I love crackers (in bed) ... haha ...

      Delete
  5. I've never been to Florida, but I used to be a soda jerk, years ago. I think those days were some of the best working days of my life, and where I learned how to have fun with the public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo ... I loved the soda shoppes ... they used to make lime Cokes and had chocolate malts ... I think I must have spent my youth on a sugar high ...

      Delete
  6. There is definitely something to be said about that soul warming heat ... I reckon Florida in the winter would be a perfect place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i never can decide what i like more ..summer, winters...autumn ...spring....i love to sweat...like you...to me it feels like a natural healthy way to boost your morale...up those happy hormones....sweating for some reason gives me a sense of accomplishment...grins...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "sweating for some reason gives me a sense of accomplishment"

      Whether it be in work or play, I agree ... feels like you're more in touch with the world.

      Delete
  8. Jimmy Buffet..? Margaritaville? ..... Well, looking at your posting time..I was listening to this on the radio at the xact same time as you posted it! *Mind Warp* ..dont think I ever heard it before then, but it made me think of an old friend who was a keen JB fan, and remember the way he sounds strummin out tunes like that..nice to think on good times. Even nicer to be IN good times I guess :) Never mind the salt shaker, just grab yr hawaiian shirt and get on down to the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I DO have Hawaiian shirts ... and flip flops and a pair of those giant Florida-style sunglasses ... I reckon that I'd fit right in ... ;o}

      Delete
  9. Shoot lost my reply. I don't like dull repetitive people either. It is interesting to watch patterns tho. We are creatures of habit. I seen some interesting characters at the theatre last night. I like to reminisce about Florida. My favorite memories are spring break. Lol. I went two other times but they didn't top the cake! I need to eat cake. That's the second cliche on cake this am. I left my keys locked in my front door last night. I said doesn't that beat the cake. Lol. Cake. Yes I need cake. :). Leaving some for your morning coffee :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger