Friday, September 07, 2012

S.W.A.K.

Words Of Love

S.W.A.K.

Love notes, love letters, love poems ... I wonder whatever became of them all?

Over the course of your life, how many have you written? Too few, I suspect. Far too few.

In a world gone mad living in the Babel of technology, in a world that finds us rushing through a maze of diminished, abbreviated email and text messages, the true art of words expressing feelings has all but disappeared. People seem afraid of sentimentality these days, afraid of the mushy, romantic verses of a Hallmark card, afraid of the soft script of emotion that outlines how we feel about those we love.

Words of love — the rough scribble of feelings flowing from the heart across a blank page — no longer arrive at our doorsteps in those wonderful envelopes of endearment. The risk-taking of committing one's hopes and dreams to the permanence of ink on paper has given way to more cautious lines of pixelated discretion on a computer screen.

Instead of expressing our deepest emotions, we hang back. Instead of fuelling passion with poetry, we prefer to hide behind the glib phrase, the easy double entendre, the artful comment that says what we feel in a back-door metaphor, something we can refute, disown, or deny should we have somehow missed the mark. In these mad modern times, nobody wants to lose the mask of being cool. Nobody wants to feel like a fool.

Love makes you a fool. You write foolish notes, you say foolish things, you do foolish stunts, you share foolish moments ...

... and you laugh and sing and fall head-over-heels into each other's life.

It's all as corny as Kansas in August.

And how cool is that?

 




 

6 comments:

  1. I wrote my first love letter when I was eight years old. I had a mad crush on a young man (17 yrs old) who worked with my Mom. I wrote the letter, hid it in my dresser drawer and my mom found it and gave it to him. I didn't know she had done this till he wrote me back, a very sweet note appropriate for an eight year old haha. I am sure they got a big laugh out of this, but I was mortified. Maybe that is why I have not written many love letters since then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite an experience for an eight-year-old. Funny how young kids are more open and genuine with their emotions ... a gift of innocence, I suppose.

      Delete
  2. I used to write love letters long ago. Now of course there is no one to write then to.
    I have a little sign hanging in my kitchen that says: "Love is foolish, but I still might try it again sometime"
    :) it fits me perfectly sarcastic cynicism...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday, you may discover that, yes, love is a bit foolish, but so worth the utter madness of it all ...

      Delete
  3. Sealed with a kiss ... I wouldn't trade it for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how corny Cansas is in August, hut we are on our best and most genuine when we write love letters.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger