Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Lady Of The Daisies

She loves me, she loves me not ...


The Lady Of The Daisies

It was summer, many decades ago, and I was travelling with a stranger who had hitched a ride with me along the highway of my life several weeks previously, somewhere just outside some small, dusty town in Arizona.

As we drove north and east from the desert states, the air cooled and the landscape took on a greener hue. Along the way, she would sit cross-legged in the passenger seat of my van, and the scent of patchouli would drift from her hair. In between unfinished conversations, she would sing along to a cassette of Neil Young or The Stones. By the time we reached the mountains of Colorado, I was madly in love.

One quiet morning, she held a daisy that she had picked from the roadside at the last station where we stopped for gasoline and snacks wrapped in crinkled plastic. I watched as she plucked one petal after another from the flower.

"She loves me," she would say with a giggle as she released a petal into the passing air. Then, just as quickly, she would snatch another, and in a sterner voice, say, "She loves me not."

That moment has stayed with me through all my life. Something, something about the way she looked into my eyes as she recited that childhood cadence caught the fire of my imagination. Many years later, I would write a short story based on the incident, but the context of the story was far different from the original experience. I've never been sure why.

It was during our travels that I learned how true love knows no rhyme or reason, has no rules, no expectations, no handbook, no map that tells you the route from first kiss to everlasting bliss.

If anything, the intensity of my love for her seemed to have tossed me into a state of helplessness.

I discovered that love is definitely not something that you can pin down or measure or keep pressed in the back pages of the latest best seller. I learned that, in one breathless moment, love seems to arrive so easily and so simply at the doorway to your heart, but in another equally breathless moment, love may just as easily and just as simply disappear down the stairway that descends from all your hopes and dreams, and leave you in a spiral of loneliness.

Thinking back, I remember parting ways with the lady of the daisies somewhere south of the black hills of Dakota. She left, almost nonchalantly, after coffee one morning to hitch a ride east to see "the freaks," as she said to me with a bright smile, in some commune hidden somewhere in the Adirondack Mountains of Upstate New York.

When she left, I don't remember being shocked or dismayed. Nothing seemed permanent in those times, and while I'm sure my heart stalled as I watched her walk away, I must confess, it was far from broken. We never spoke of a future together, and we never confused happiness with permanence. One moment she loved me; the next moment she did not. Simple.

That day, as I headed north to Canada, I missed her for an hour or so, maybe more. It was only later that I found the scribbled note she had left under a pile of cassettes, and then I knew that she had been with me for a reason and that she had left me for an even better reason.



 




 

12 comments:

  1. this was a most lovely story...I like that you did not reveal the reason why (mystery is everything sometimes)
    ~
    I remember driving (with my family) through parts of Canada in the 70s picking up hitch hikers lol back in the day of love and peace it wasn't an issue of course you can't do that now, or at least I wouldn't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were different times. I'm like you ... no hitchhikers get in my van these days. Too many weirdos.

      Now, we were probably thought, by many, to be weirdos too ... but we were gentle and harmless weirdos ... ;o}

      Delete
  2. Oh that's a heart touching story ! I believe people come to teach us something, brighten our spirits, build our characters. Love has no bounds. Ah the freedom of true love. Very well expressed write :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is a "freedom to love." I've always maintained that unless you are "free," you can never love completely.

      Far too may owners out there ...

      Delete
  3. 'true love knows no rhyme or reason, has no rules, no expectations, no handbook, no map' ...true. Ask it for an answer and you'll get questions, ask it to stick to the rules and it'll break all of em, expect anything you'll be disappointed but expect nothing and you'll be overwhelmed, look for direction and you'll just end up more lost than ever...but.... sometimes it hitches a ride, and nestles in to stay.

    I like your cute story! You're quite the guru on love. I'm determined to go back and read all your stuff so I don't miss any pointers. (believe me I need all the help I can get)

    hugs from Lottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... hardly a guru ... you seem to be on the same wavelength as me ...

      Delete
  4. What a sweet story :-) Ahhh the scent of patchouli, I can smell it now.. well actually they make a body wash with patchouli scent and I buy it on occasion. My daughter always laughs at me, but she wasn't around in the "good old days" so she can't appreciate it.

    Now I think the girl was actually a nun who was questioning her vows so she set out to travel the country and in the process she met a nice young man and fell in love, but in the end she decided to go back to the convent which was nestled in the middle of the Adirondack mountains right next to the monastery where she lives to this day serving the church, but she has never forgotten the man in the van who stole her heart.

    Well, I know that is probably not the story, but you left it open and I had to fill in the blank :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, sometimes we just have to fill in the blanks ...

      Yours is a very familiar story actually ... sounds like Henry James's The American ... tough read, but an American classic ...

      Delete
    2. You are kidding me? And here I thought I had come up with an original story to fill in the blank. :-( I can honestly say I have never read The American, but I think I will now just to see who stole my idea lol :-))

      Delete
  5. Oh and Leonard Cohen is my all time favorite. He has gotten even better with age.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger