Thursday, October 04, 2012

In My Opinion

Conundrum


In My Opinion

Everyone has an opinion about one thing or another. One's slant on a particular subject is an important means of self-expression, and our opinions are the foundation of our personalities.

What some people forget is that an opinion is never necessarily right. What each person believes may be right for him or her, but that same belief may be horribly wrong for another person. Some will say, "I believe in God," while others will insist, "There is no God." Which is right? Which is wrong? Neither is right or wrong.

Opinions have no concrete, absolute, irrefutable validity. Opinions are not facts; they are merely perceptions of facts. Opinions are beliefs that we hold dear because these beliefs work for each of us.

The problem is that, when we offer our opinions as topics of conversation, some people think it is right and fair to challenge another person's beliefs. Sometimes, an unending argument ensues, because people of differing opinions want their views to be validated in a larger forum. That is why political parties exist. That is why different religions exist. That is why some people live in certain countries or particular areas of one country. We feel more comfortable among like minds, among people who share something about what we believe.

Tyranny exists when one person thinks his or her views of things are somehow more relevant, more vital, more "correct" than the beliefs of anyone who may see the world differently from him or her. "I believe ..." becomes "I know ..." and anyone who contradicts the "truth of the matter" is ridiculed or told to be silent.

How absurd.

From my experience, I have found truth to be an ever-shifting sea of ideas. What seemed "right" today may seem all "wrong" tomorrow. I am comfortable with that kind of ambiguity in life. In fact, I find it enriching, because I never feel pinned down by my own beliefs, and I absolutely refuse to be enslaved by the opinions of others and their self-serving philosophies.


 




 

11 comments:

  1. "We feel more comfortable among like minds, among people who share something about what we believe."


    Very true -- in my opinion, of course.

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what they say about opinions ... everyone has one. I've never been afraid to voice mine, and I rather like listening to the opinions of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opinions are wonderful as long as they are free ... some do tend to become a little too righteous with theirs and then become nothing more than opinionated bores.
    I do think opinions have a basis though ... they form the foundation of who you are ... but being flexible with ones thoughts kind of offers one a liberation ... a free flow.
    Something like that ~grin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free flow ... yes, opinions tend to come out a little uncensored sometimes ... I have half a dozen editors working tirelessly in my brain to keep me from saying anything too untoward ...

      Delete
  4. I loved this...there are fewer and fewer people with open minds...it is highly annoying to me when someone thinks there way is the only way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and we've known a few of those now, haven't we ... ?

      Delete
  5. Can you imagine William blogging today? He'd be a hit I'm sure!

    Hmmn..are opinions the same thing as beliefs?
    ...does everyone really have an opinion?..or are some so pragmatic that they actually don't..
    ...is relativism the same as flexibility?
    ..where does lukewarm fit in to the equation..or wishywashy?
    ..if truth is a shiftless sea, are you sure about that?

    Why is it you so often have me asking questions Mr James? I guess that's the hallmark of a good writer. Sometimes I want to kiss you, truly do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, ol' Will never shied away from the big questions, and neither should you ... but to be honest, I'm never sure about anything ...

      ;o}

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger