Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Love and Hate — Two Shades Of The Same Colour


Strange Bedfellows


Love and Hate — Two Shades Of The Same Colour

I have often wondered if hate is just a variation of love, a sort of twisted, probably perverse form of caring and wanting to be with someone.

After all, wouldn't the opposite of love be indifference?

As long as there is hate, there is a connection between the hater and the hated.

In the worst of scenarios, two people fall in love, then one checks out, physically and emotionally, and begins a completely new life. The other person, however, still has feelings for the one that left. He-She is nowhere near the closure necessary to accept the end of the relationship.

"I miss Her-Him so much," He-She moans. "I would do anything to get Her-Him back."

While He-She moans and groans about losing Her-Him, Her-Him has moved on and starts seeing other people, even sleeping with them. Fall-out sex, the sex you have as you're falling out of love, seems to be a unique kind of physical celebration. Sometimes, it's angry sex, sex as revenge, but not always. Her-Him may be so elated to be away from He-She that Her-Him simply explodes by engaging in long nights of raw sex. And not just slam-bang-thanks-for-the-ride sex, really good sex. Sex with a groan of pleasure, in a variety of positions that would make any good Mormon fall into apoplexy. That kind of sex becomes the hallmark of freedom. "I'm free, I'm free ... look at me now you bastard-bitch, I'm fucking free."

Ooops, now you see there's that F-word. I am always cautious about using the word, "free," because what is a constant call for freedom if it's not a way of saying, "I feel so fucking trapped."

It's never good to feel trapped. It's not really a lifestyle at all. When Her-Him begins to feel trapped, well the writing is on the wall, right next to the chips in the plaster where Her-Him threw the good china and just above the hole in the wall that He-She made with an afterwards broken fist.

Under those somewhat destructive conditions, it's time to move on. And yet, some never do. Some offer up their lives for Her-Him, hang their hearts from a rafter in the ceiling like it was a punching bag, and say, "Here, love me or hate, but just don't leave me."

Before long, in the circle of disappearing friends, one hears He-She musing aloud, "I hate that I love Her-Him so much."

I never understood that contradiction, but I have seen it lying out there on the kitchen table beside the spilt oatmeal and last night's dirty dishes. It's one of those ugly realities of life — love and hate tossing about together, like sour milk separating into unseemly chunks the moment you pour it into your coffee.

The thing is that love and hate are like fraternal twins, different but still somehow connected. Love is the preferred way to be linked to another person, but in the absence of love, hate will do.

In both love and hate there is an emotional attachment. Hate is just love looking in the mirror, reversed but still there.

In fact, sometimes I wonder if a hate relationship is not actually stronger than a love relationship, especially if all that hate-love is festering on the curb of I-Can't-Get-Over-Losing-You Boulevard. Obsession is more powerful than progression.

No, if I were hard pressed to define the opposite of love, I guess I would say that the opposite to being in love is not caring at all.

Now, before you jump in with the comment that, in your own experience, you still care about So-And-So, but you definitely no longer love So-And-So, well, really, you might as well confess that the tingle of the emotion you felt for that person is still brooding somewhere in your being. Maybe you're just waiting for a second chance. Maybe saying things like, "I still want to be your friend," is the same as saying, "I still love you, and I'll wait for you until you come to your senses."

Ending is not mending. Ending is just ending.



 





 

13 comments:

  1. Great song from a fabulous band! They have a new CD out, by the way. Not caring IS the opposite of love, in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a good band, but this is the only song of theirs that I know ...

      Delete
  2. ~smile~ ... Hate? ... is such an ugly negative I could never use it to replace something I have loved. In fact ... everyone that I have loved, is still loved ... but differently. Whatever it is that makes you fall in love, can never truly die as that something, is what made/makes that person special! Perhaps hate belongs to those who cannot let go ... needy souls, who need someone no matter what!
    You are right about freedom through ... I believe a healthy relationship allows for that ... we all need to feel, be ... free .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say hate is love disappointed. I can say as much as I've hated as part if me remembers the good. I think people don't move on because they are afraid of change. Oh but to soar in that freedom. I can't imagine never experiencing that. I'd take the pain to soar on freedoms wings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In all honesty, I don't hate anyone I ever loved, but I might hate the way they treated me. After all, hating them is having feelings for them, and I would rather be indifferent and free as a bird. Give them a "funeral" and say good-bye.

    Also, are we ever really "just friends" with someone we once loved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Also, are we ever really "just friends" with someone we once loved?"

      Well, maybe you can be "just friends" after some time has passed, but somehow, those feelings that you once had have a peculiar way of cropping up again. Ending is ending.

      Delete
  5. this reminds me of the saying, "I may not like you but I love in a very special way..."


    ReplyDelete
  6. it has to do with unconditional love, accepting people for who they are, loving them anyway...don't think too hard :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think..loving someone truly is the most dangerous thing we can do.. the risks are enormous. If you end up abandoned, humiliated, ripped off, soul-destroyed, disappointed, heartsick, bruised, broken, halved..you've been lucky. Perhaps hate is a merciful anesthetic.

    I did get a shock when you used the F word..you are not normally so extreme.. freedom.. is the treasure that, like the end of the rainbow, looks better from a distance, and when attained starts to feel a lot like empty space.

    'Whatever it is that makes you fall in love, can never truly die as that something, is what made/makes that person special!' ..love that :)
    ..long live love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. opposite of love isnt hate, its indifference...

    sometimes...the hue of the love changes..or maybe intensity is a better word...we love that person...maybe more than ever before..but not with the same fizz...

    and infatuation on rebound has its uses....helps you get over that initial howling hurt of a break up...and then you get over the infatuation in any case...and then you are really free...grins

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger