Monday, October 08, 2012

Miracles


Metamorphosis


Miracles

Someone asked me yesterday if I believed in miracles.

My immediate response was, "Yes, of course."

This morning, I'm trying to figure out what a miracle is. I mean, is it a miracle that any of us are here? Is a newborn baby a miracle? If one were to survive a plane crash, would that be a miracle?

Does a miracle have to be some grand event? Or, are miracles the little everyday things that happen that make us happy to be alive? A call from an old friend? A seemingly casual compliment? A recipe that turns out so amazingly good that you are stunned by the taste of dinner?

Is this a miracle? I mean, you are here and yet not here. You know me, but don't know me. You are a friend, despite the fact that we have never met. Isn't that a little miraculous?

It's Thanksgiving Day here in Canada, and on days like this, I guess it's important to realise how fortunate I've been. I have much for which to be thankful, and I am. My children, my grandchildren, my health ... OK, the health part has been a challenge over the last year, but I'm making great strides towards getting back to "normal," whatever that is. In the face of every challenge that life sets before me, I am grateful to be able to still answer the call and to meet every challenge head-on.

The important thing is to remember that life doesn't roll out a red carpet for any of us. You hope and dream, and maybe some of those hopes and dreams come true. Usually, most people fall a little short of what they wanted or expected. So what? Learning to live in your own skin is the key to being happy.

Lord knows, we have all seen the "great pretenders," people so dissatisfied with the cards which life has dealt them that they steal the ideas and the dreams of others and claim that creativity as their own. No one can fill in the lines of a dream that someone else has created. Those that try to do so simply become shadows, and the desperate few who are fooled by the sleight of hand and the card trick are usually shadows too. The smartest and brightest among us see through the smoke and mirrors fairly quickly.

Whatever your life is, it's important to see it for what it is and be thankful for what you have.

Do I believe in miracles? Of course I do, but for me, miracles are life's everyday joys, small but certain, commonplace but extraordinary, inconsequential but blessed moments of unwavering happiness.



 





 

8 comments:

  1. The fact that I actually wake up in the morning is a miracle ~grin~ ... I have to agree with you ... miracles lie within everything really ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One needs to be grateful for waking up, but sometimes, I'd be grateful for a little more sleep ...

      Delete
    2. I'm going to agree with Lynne about waking up each morning ... I tend to say "thank you" before getting out of bed.

      Finding love, again, is a miracle.

      Happy Thanksgiving, sweetie pie ... xxx

      Delete
  2. I watched my grandbaby being born, to me that was a miracle. I think there are both small and big miracles that happen. Little miracles are the ones we usually take for granted until we stop and think about them.......like the butterfly which was a very good choice for an illustration to this blog. If you really think about it, just being able to communicate with people in this manner like we are now is nothing short of a miracle, at least to those of us like me who don't really comprehend how this internet really works !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Internet thing is a miracle ... amazingly simple and complex at the same time ...

      Delete
  3. Simply love your definition of miracles. I haven't thought of it before but you have to be right speaking about little things which make life perfect and us happy !
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes think that today's printers are a miracle--think about it--you type words on a screen, hit a button, it chatters for a second or two, and voila! You have a hard copy of what you've seen or typed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger