Monday, October 22, 2012

The Missed Opportunity


The Mystery

The Missed Opportunity

Ever wonder where that special someone is today?

You know, the someone you met once, maybe for just the briefest moment, who caught your attention in the most unusual way but who quickly slipped away into a different reality?

The someone with whom you could have and maybe should have connected in a deeper way?

The someone who has been haunting you all of your life?

I remember one such person, a young lady whom I met almost by chance at a party many years ago. I remember her face, her voice, her demeanour, but mostly I remember the way she looked at me. It was like her eyes were saying, "You're the one, aren't you? You're the one I was supposed to meet and be with forever."

And maybe, I looked back and acknowledged her look. Maybe. I can't be sure. If I did, then why wouldn't I be with her now?

I believe there are missed opportunities in life, chance circumstances that offered a completely different story from the one we have lived through, if only we had had the sense or courage to seize the moment, to grab hold of a possibility, and to follow that path to its end.

I'm not sure why I started thinking about this quandary, because I am not unhappy with where I am today. Maybe, there will always be the voice of "what if ..." in the back of my mind. At its best, it is dreamy. At its worst, it is unsettling.

One thing is certain. You can't roll back the years and change the choices that you made.

And still ... I wonder ...



 





 

19 comments:

  1. Oh, Kennedy James, you're very melancholic today. The truth is that we can't get everything in life and surly different ways can give us different things. The question is if on the end of the road we'll be in same point if we decedied differently... There will be always the questions what if... but don't you think that if once you're not enough sure to chose sth, you'd do it today and it'd be a good choice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing is for sure ... one must never regret the decisions we make. Otherwise, we look back in frustration, and that feeling destroys what we have in the present ...

      Delete
    2. You're so right !
      And... I forgot to tell you that I love your picture !

      Delete
  2. ~smile~ ... oh the choices we make as we travel our chosen paths ... I guess there will always be the what if's ... but I think the secret is to hold onto those ... as they can become the sugar that sweetens future dreams! Personally I believe everything happens for a reason ... everything has its life ... People come and go in our lives ... nothing is truly definite ... not really ... but dreams ~smile~ ... they can be pretty constant!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's important to hold on to dreams, but maybe we must not let the "what ifs" overwhelm us. After all, we have livin' to do ...

      Delete
  3. Choices aren't always easy! That's for sure! I've had times when I could have went back. I waited it out an seen that it wasn't a better choice and am convinced there are reasons we don't say Ok :) I sure do believe there are different paths and opportunities. I'm thankful for instincts and time showing me what I always wondered. :) off my reflection soap box lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't ignore what you say about "reasons we don't say OK" ... so very true ... sometimes we have to listen to those little inner voices ...

      Delete
  4. "And maybe, I looked back and acknowledged her look. Maybe. I can't be sure. If I did, then why wouldn't I be with her now?"


    I believe the temptation is to see that which might have been in a positive light. By not responding to her flirtations at the time, you could just as well have saved yourself a lifetime of wreckage and ruin, KJ.

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is a stolen glance really a missed opportunity?

    As for wondering where that special someone is today, there is no doubt in my mind where he is ... right here in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can only define a missed opportunity after you missed it ...

      Delete
  6. Why do you wonder, Kennedy! Wherever is she, she is just a thought away... all your life you can meet people that make you happy for a moment, but it is important to meet and keep those that make you happy for all your life...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wrote a story about a missed opportunity that still haunts me for some reason.
    It is found in my archives under March 4, 2012, the title is "Jersey Boy"

    Maybe we miss opportunities all the time because we don't even notice those opportunities staring us in the face. But it is the one's we see and let pass by that make us wonder........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall drop by and read your story ... perhaps I shall discover the haunting ...

      Delete
    2. Oh you rascal you ! I just read the reply and that would have driven me crazy wondering why it was blank, but on the other hand, I might have written the story on that piece of paper. :-)

      Delete
  8. it is totally natural to wonder about those what ifs, I like the places the wondering takes me most times...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some opportunities are so determined that they keep circling the block and coming back for another pass. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions, salutations, and feedback of any kind. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my never-ending battle against Spam, I am no longer accepting comments from Anonymous readers. Please use a registered ID to make a comment. Thanks.









 
 


Comments? Questions? Abuse? Innuendoes?
Click Here









© Kennedy James. All rights reserved.

All material in this site is copyrighted under International Copyright Law. Reproduction of original content, in any form and in whole or in part, save for fair use exemption, is prohibited by the author of this site without expressed, written permission.


 Powered by Blogger